Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Lizzeuphemism

My friend Liz is many things. She's fabulous, loyal and never has a problem telling you exactly what she thinks. What is it she always says . . ."I am often wrong, but never in doubt"or something similar?

Liz is also fiercely protective of anyone she loves (including me) and she frequently questions things that I do (like buying Cadbury Eggs off the interweb) that she doesn't approve of or doesn't quite "get".

She didn't "get" hypnobabies at all. In fact, I was motivated to write this post based upon her comments to my postpartum appointment post.

I was absolutely rolling on the floor when I read this comment:

Metamorphosis into Motherhood...really?

I sometimes feel like you joined cult with that hypnobabies thing...they don't call things what they are which, to me, is a sign of being out of touch with reality.

For example:

Excruciating pain = slight discomfort
Labor = birthing waves
Drugs to alleviate labor pain = WTF? No way!

What next? Here is how I think these people would like you to describe other common words:

Taxes = Financial Support of Government Programs
Murder = Assisted Transition to the Afterlife
Broken Arm = Bone in Need of R&R
Fatal Car Accident = Vehicular Inconvenience
Dog Bite = Canine Love Nibble
Cat Scratch = Feline Love Tap
Arson = Intentional Roasting of Home & Humans
Kidnapping = Relocation by Unknown People
Ransom = Financial Assistance to Babysitter at an Undisclosed Location

If you start drinking weird Kool Aid and use terms like the ones I described above or if you and Matt decide to move to a commune with your Doula I will lead an intervention. Or your Doula's Assisted Transition to the Afterlife. Really. You can bet on it.

As you can tell, Liz is a fan of complete disclosure and the brutal truth. Don't sugar coat anything for her.

In honor of my friend Liz, I've come up with my own Lizzeuphemisms for motherhood:

Starvation = Desire for food

Sleep Deprivation = Desire for sleep

Baby Poop = Child's gift to parent (or caregiver)

Baby Crying/Screaming = Childhood communication technique

Spit-up = Another gift from child to parent (or caregiver)

Diaper Rash = Tooshie skin ailment

Now, here's an adorable picture of Cash even though he has baby acne (lizzeuphemism - baby acne = little face bumps)


4 comments:

  1. You are so funny! That photo is so cute.

    Maybe I should start censoring my comments or at least thinking before I talk/write.

    I think one day, just for fun, we should try to speak in hypnobabies-speak for 1 whole day. I don't think I could get through a whole day speaking that way - the day would end with me banging my head against a wall until I achieved a state of unconsciousness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, is Cash too young to go to the spa for an exfoliating facial? That could really help his acne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. or...at least in pictures, you do.

    ReplyDelete