Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Mas-whatis? Bleh.

***Waring - Contains Details On Boobs, Specifically Mine***

On Sunday evening I started to get a soreness, combined with a hard knot in my right boob. As a breastfeeding mother - I had read all the literature and was pretty sure that I had a clogged milk duct. I quickly went to the interweb to do some research.

I found out that a clogged milk duct is fairly common, especially in the first several weeks of breastfeeding (and in winter - which I don't really get, but that's what they say). A clogged duct can occur for many reasons (like, not completely draining the breast or skipped feedings or stress or sleeping on your stomach) or for really no reason at all. So, I read all the interweb advice, talked to my mom and the women in my support group. The risk of an uncleared duck is an infection called Mastitis. Not wanting to get an infection, I quickly did everything I could to clear the clogged duct:
  • Massage
  • Warm compress
  • Breastfeeding and/or pumping at least every two hours (starting with the clogged boob first); and
  • Changing feeding positions (including feeding upside down - which was somewhat tricky and did no good).
The only thing I didn't really try was "rest" - that's not a viable option when you have to breastfeed or pump every two hours - I bet a man came up with that suggestion.

I also started eating ibuprofen like they were Cadbury Eggs and the heating pad that I had put away (thinking my recovery was over) quickly became my breast friend (I'm a dork, I know).

Well, two days went by and no improvement. It actually started to feel worse. The symptoms for Mastitis are:
  • Breast tenderness or warmth to the touch - CHECK!
  • General malaise or feeling ill - I CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THIS AND MY OVERALL FATIGUE, BUT I HAVEN'T FELT "FLUISH" - THANKFULLY.
  • Swelling of the breast - CHECK
  • Pain or a burning sensation continuously or while breast-feeding - CHECK
  • Skin redness, often in a wedge-shaped pattern - CHECK
  • Fever of 101 F (38.3 C) or greater - NOPE, NO FEVER
I called my doctor's office this morning, even though I knew Dr. Elephant was out of town. I was hoping his nurse could get me in with someone else (anyone besides Dr. Bitch) or I was prepared to call my general practitioner if she couldn't get me an appointment.

I got a noon appointment with the practice's nurse practitioner. Sadly, this meant I wouldn't be able to make my mom's support group.

The very nice nurse practitioner took one look at my boob and said - "Yup, it's mastitis." Oh goodie! She prescribed an antibiotic (dicloxacillin) that I'll take for the next seven days. She said I should feel relief by Friday and if I don't, I should call back. Hopefully, I feel relief sooner.

On a slightly positive note, I've lost 20 of the 30 pounds I gained during pregnancy and I've actually been at this weight during my adult life without being pregnant.

I guess I'll just add Mastitis to the list of things that I'll hang over Cash's head when he's sixteen and does something horrible, I'll say - "I had an unmedicated birthing time (because I'll still use Hypnobabies language) with you and all I'm asking you to do is take out the trash." OR "I got a boob infection feeding you so the least you could do is pick your clothes up off the floor." See, I'm learning this mom-guilt-trip thing pretty good, aren't I?

I'll post a cute picture of baby Cash later, I didn't really want to include it with this wonderful post.

1 comment:

  1. If you get a clogged duct again try taking a really hot, long shower and massaging the area. That worked for me on many occassions. Sorry you had to go through that...OUCH!!

    ReplyDelete