Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Metamorphosis To Motherhood - Meeting One

I mentioned last week that I was joining a new mothers support group and for that decision I received some grief (ahem . . Liz & Jen). Well today was my first meeting (we meet for the next three Wednesdays in May).

We started at 10:00 AM with a walk on a trail (somewhere in Round Rock) and then headed back to the hostess's house for brunch and a guest speaker.

Our guest speaker (Rita) is a certified holistic nurse. Our topic (and this is especially for Liz) for the day was, "Energy work and healing: Love and the holiness in bonding, spiritual practice to help in bonding". Even for me, I don't really understand this title, but the main point was that as mothers we need to tend to ourselves first before we can be good for our children (like the airplane thing where you put the mask on yourself and then help children). According to our speaking, babies have lots of life force energy (her words, not mine) because they are growing and they will give to us exactly what we give to them.

I know this sounds kind of new-age-ish, but it actually makes a ton of sense. If I'm calm, Cash is calm. Babies mimic what they feel, hear and see and when moms are well-rested (an oxymoron if there ever was one), relaxed and happy - babies respond positively. Our speaker also mentioned that having a baby will often bring any subconscious issues that the mother is having to the surface. She gave a pretty cool example (that's just too long to explain on the blog), but essentially, an eleven month old baby was trying to walk with her legs sticking straight out (like a V) and couldn't step forward because of the positioning of her legs. Turns out, the mother had leg casts and braces on her own legs for about a year of her life starting at around eleven months. The baby's V leg position was the same position the mother's legs were in while in the cast. The mother didn't realize she had this issues from her past, but as soon as she dealt with it (within a day), her baby started walking.

OK, I guess I did kind of give the entire example. Like I said, I know this sounds kind of goofy, but this particular case was documented by a couple psychologists along with several other less extreme examples.

The basic message - Happy Momma = Happy Baby.

I really enjoyed meeting the other four other mothers in the group. We all have boys. Cash is the second youngest (one month tomorrow), the youngest will be one month on Saturday, there's another who is 5.5 weeks and two babies who are 15 weeks. Two of the mothers are 33, and one mother is 24 and the other is 25.

Attending this group also made me realize that Cash is a pretty content and happy baby. He fusses now and again (but usually only when he's hungry or fighting sleep), but nothing like what some of these women were describing.

All the other mothers said Cash has awesome hair - even though, I think it'll fall out in a couple of months. They also really liked his name . . . did I mention that I LIKE these women?

OK, now game time (with pictures).

We're going to play - Where's Cash? (like where's Waldo).

Can you find "Happy Cash"?



Can you find "Pissed Off Cash"? (Taken about two seconds after "Happy Cash")


Can you find "Funny Face Cash"? (Taken about two seconds after "Pissed Off Cash")



2 comments:

  1. Good for you trying different things! I joined a music class where my little guy is the youngest, and the only BOY! I thought it was a bit hippy-ish at first, but I really enjoy it now to see how he interacts and smiles to the music. Little Cash is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I'm glad you had a good time and liked the other women. Of course they loved Cash. Who wouldn't?

    On a side note, did we actually pick that blanket and onsie to match on purpose or were we just a little crazy with the zapper?

    ReplyDelete