Thursday, May 13, 2010

Metamorphosis To Motherhood - Meeting Two

On Wednesday, I had my second MTM meeting.

It was nice to see everyone again. It's strange, but as a new mother you have a pretty instant connection with every other new mother that you meet.

This week's discussion about breastfeeding was a little more pragmatic than last week's discussion.

All of us are breastfeeding and it's just so nice to hear that breastfeeding is universally horrible for the first couple of weeks. I hate to admit it, but the first week or so I would actually dread hearing Cash cry because I knew all he wanted was to eat and I was in so much pain. Dr. Elephant prescribed vicodin for my who-ha injuries, but I would actually take it (along with some Motrin) about a half hour before I knew Cash would want to eat.

I didn't really learn much from the guest speaker (she's training to be a lactation consultant) considering I spent tons of time with a lactation consultant in the hospital and then for another couple of hours when Cash was four days old, but it was good to have a conversation with other women about breastfeeding issues.

Next week's meeting is with a physical therapist and is about getting back in shape after pregnancy. Speaking of getting back in shape, I had a dreadful run this morning. I only went two miles and I felt so sluggish. I'm going to blame the humidity - bleh!

2 comments:

  1. Certainly not an expert, but proud of you to hang in there with the breastfeeding. I imagine the warmth of your love and milk, both nourishing, is tranferring to Cash and he is feeling loved and protected.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. If breastfeeding hurts you should quit or drink vodka while you do it. Good grief, I can't believe you don't ask me about this stuff. I have easy and obvious answers. This is why God made baby formula. And distilled liquors. Believe me when I say that Cash isn't going to remember whether or not you breast fed him in 10 years.

    ReplyDelete