Saturday, March 24, 2012

My Letter Writing Campaign

One of my New Year's goals was to become more educated about the things I buy, the companies that make them and where they are made. 

In the broadest sense - I'm trying to just be more educated and aware about "things". 

Things include - cookie dough production, movie release dates and my local government representatives

Recently we moved from a district in Austin represented by Democrats to a district in a burby-mc-suburbia-land represented by Republicans. 

A few weeks ago, I wrote to my Texas State House Representative (Larry Gonzales) and my Texas State Senator (Steve Ogden) about Texas House Bill 15 (the one that mandates a women get an ultrasound prior to an abortion).  I have no idea why I am so passionate about this issue (it doesn't pertain to me personally), but I am.  I asked both men to write me back and explain their rationale for voting for HB 15. 

I received a response today from State Senator Steve Ogden.  I obviously don't agree with his position, but do appreciate that he wrote me back to explain.  He mentioned that he thinks most of his constituents agree with his position, but I'm not convinced that most of the women living close to me want the Texas government making medical decisions for them.

I'm not quite sure what to do next (besides vote) - it's not like I'm not going to walk door-to-door with a petition.  I'd like to write State Senator Odgen back, but I don't think my saying "you're wrong" is a very convincing argument.  At least I am trying to participate in civil discourse.

Here is Cub today enjoying the beautiful day (although he was little grumpy) on a swing.

No comments:

Post a Comment