Wednesday, November 4, 2009

She Said What?

OK - from time to time, I will steal another bloggers' post or idea.

In this case, I'm pretty much going to copy Heather's Post (by just posting it) because she says how I feel, but more eloquently.

Bottom line, her post is a reaction to the article "Plodders Have A Place, But Is It In A Marathon?"

The article includes arguments from some (mean people) saying that those of us (yes, I am a "plodder" - especially at 19 weeks pregnant) who take 6 or more hours to finish a marathon, really have no business running a marathon. Phooey on you running snobs! The article also includes arguments from others (like me) saying that many races are funded by all the slow pokes out there and that many of us run for the activity and enjoyment, even if we aren't world class athletes.

Like I said, Heather is much more eloquent and doesn't use phrases like "phooey" and "slow pokes".

When my mom and I run our very first marathon on November 15th our goal is to do it in 6 hours or less (which would be a huge accomplishment considering I'll probably be spending one of those hours in the bathroom), but we'll be proud of each other no matter what the time. We've put in so many months of training, spent so much money on gadgets and sweat rags and clothes and endured all the strange looks from our husbands and friends. Come November 15th, my mom and I will cross that finish line together (no matter what the time) and no one is going to tell me that I haven't accomplished something great!

2 comments:

  1. Anyone who knows what dedication and hard work it is should really appreciate what a marathoner must go through no matter what time it takes to run the race. Proud of what you and Lumpy are aiming for.

    ReplyDelete