Friday, November 13, 2009

Fetus Friday - Week 20 & MARATHON WEEKEND

I'm officially at the half-way mark of pregnancy. Although, it doesn't seem quite right to call it "half-way" - I haven't really been pregnant the full 20 weeks (more like 17 or 18), it's just the funny way that baby doctors do math.

According to Baby Center - from head to feet - Lumpy is now about 10 inches long and about 10.5 oz, although I'm sure Lumpy must weigh more because of my generous weight gain.

Baby Center also mentions this disgusting tidbit:

He's also producing meconium, a black, sticky by-product of digestion. This gooey substance will accumulate in his bowels, and you'll see it in his first soiled diaper (some babies pass meconium in the womb or during delivery).

OK - I don't know which is grosser - the idea that Lumpy will pass sticky black stuff in the womb (where the hell does that stuff go?) or that poor Lumpy has to hold it for 20 more weeks. I'd be grumpy too if I had to hold a poo for 20 weeks!

Baby Center has this to say about me:

The top of your uterus is about level with your belly button, and you've likely gained around 10 pounds. Expect to gain another pound or so each week from now on.

If this holds true - my total weight gain will be somewhere between 31 - 32 lbs. I think the safe goal is somewhere between 25 - 35 lbs, but let's face it - I'm enjoying my Cadbury Creme Eggs.

In other very important news - this Sunday (as in 48 hours from now) I will be running, with my Mom (and Lumpy) in my very first marathon - ROCK N ROLL SAN ANTONIO. I'm a little nervous and a lot excited. The weather doesn't look like it's going to be as chilly or humid-less (is that a word?) as I'd like, but I've run in the heat and humidity all summer, so I feel trained and ready for just about anything (with the exception of a cookie dough, Taco Bell or Cadbury Creme Egg truck - if I see one of those, I'll probably go off course).

After this post, it may be a little sparse until my post race report (hopefully Sunday night, but maybe not till Monday - we'll see if my finger muscles will cooperate).

No comments:

Post a Comment