Monday, June 7, 2010

Two Month Dr. Sharpie Appointment

I must admit, I was NOT looking forward to this appointment. I knew it would be the first time for shots and I'm not a big fan of hearing Cash-man cry. I barely made it through the heal stick at the two week appointment. I warned Buttin a month ago that this was an appointment he could not miss.

Here are the updates:
  • Cash is 12lbs 13oz - big boy - in the 75th percentile.
  • Cash is 23.5 inches tall - tall boy - in the 75th percentile.
  • Dr. Sharpie said everything looks very good - he's got a nice round head and everything.
  • The dreaded vaccines -
Cash received four vaccines - one orally and three in the thigh (Why with all our medical accomplishments cannot we not find a way to give all vaccines orally?). Thankfully, the nurse was very quick. I didn't cry, but I wanted to. Cash cried and screamed and turned a horribly unnatural shade of purplish red. It was awful for me (probably for him too, but this is MY blog) and for Buttin too. I pretty much grabbed Cash away from Buttin, even though Buttin was very sweetly telling me to go get ready to feed him (the plan was to put him on the boob ASAP to soothe him). I wasn't having any of it - I was going to hold Cash while he was screaming and get ready at the same time. (Maybe I should have been ready BEFORE the shots.)

I would go through this entire boobie infection all over if it meant never having to hear him cry like that again. Sadly, I know it's just the beginning.

Cash only took about five minutes to calm down and promptly fell asleep in his car seat on the way home. He's now asleep in his swing having completely forgotten about it - wish I could.

3 comments:

  1. I truly believe watching your baby get shots is one of those "it hurts me more than you" sort of situations. They do get over it quickly, while you have that memory of their crying rage to live with. On the brighter side, it does get easier as they get older. And there will come a time when they start bragging about how they didn't cry - then you'll know you've arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking at both of my girl's faces when they got thier shots, I read in thier eyes, that somehow, I betrayed their trust in me.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how u feel, I couldn't look when my baby got his shots.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete