Tuesday, March 29, 2011

New Doctor #2

Last week, I met with a new pediatrician.

Dr. Santa (New Doctor #1) was good, but I prefer someone closer and maybe a little more, I don't know, different - it's hard to explain.

I heard lots of good things about a practice with a satellite office close to our home (like less than 2 miles away). I called and asked if I could meet with a specific doctor - just a brief visit. I guess no one calls asking to meet with a doctor before their child gets sick (my request was met with a lukewarm, "hmm . . I don't know"), but the office staff and doctor were agreeable (had they not been, this wouldn't have been a good option for us).

The office manager gave me a tour, explained to me what they could/could not do in their on-site lab, gave me a packet of information and spent no less than 30 minutes answering my questions and discussing Cub. I felt like I was being courted. If you took all my doctor visits while pregnant, plus all of Cub's pediatrician visits and added all the time I've spent talking with a doctor's office manger I don't think it would equal 30 minutes. It was nice to know that they would spend this much time with someone who wasn't even making a co-pay.

Next I met the doctor. I read her online bio and my interest was most peaked by the fact that she ran in the Boston Marathon (she later clarified that it was an unofficial entry) - I now call her, Dr. Boston (oddly enough the actual name of Molly's vet). She's also run in other marathons (officially).

Dr. Boston and I spent about 40 minutes talking about various kiddo issues - from allergies to vaccines to Cub's lack of interest in non-pureed food. She has warmth, but isn't too fakey-sugary and I like that she considers herself part of a child-care team.

She also really likes Dairy Queen, so she must be good!

I made Cub's one year appointment with Dr. Boston.

Here's Cub's picture today - it's like he's saying - Really mom, another picture?

No comments:

Post a Comment