Friday, October 30, 2009

Fetus Friday - Week 18 (or how I've gained so much weight)

OK - I know I'm pregnant and probably more sensitive than usual.

Today, when I went to see Dr. Elephant he told me my weight gain was "generous". I've gained 6lbs in the last five weeks and the first 13 weeks I had only gained 3 lbs - bringing my grand total to 9 lbs. I guess I need to stop eating so much breakfast dessert. Although, Patty did point out that this was probably the most important meal of the day.

I don't know why I'm upset by this weight gain development - I am pregnant after all. I guess I just wish I wasn't gaining it so generously. Between now and my next appointment, (December 2nd - Buttin & my 3rd anniversary) my goal is just to eat a little more veggies and a little less cake. But . . . I do LOVE cake!

In other doctor's appointment news - my Mother in Law came to the appointment with Buttin and me. She got to hear the Lumpy's heart beat (a strong, fast 160 bpm), watch the nurse take my "generous" weight and blood pressure. I also got the H1N1 vaccine (Buttin had to leave the office - he's afraid of needles. I have no idea how he's going to deal with actual child birth or when Lumpy gets shots. )

In two weeks, I go in for my big ultrasound (where they check on Lumpy's anatomy). At this time, we could find out if Lumpy is a Lumpy-o or a Lumpy-a, but we're going to be surprised! I just hope Lumpy is growing on-track.

Ok - now for the 18 week update:

Baby Center has this to say about Lumpy:

If you're having a girl, her uterus and fallopian tubes are formed and in place. If you're having a boy, his genitals are noticeable now, but he may hide them from you during an ultrasound.

Like I said, we planned to be surprised - but it's fun to know that all these anatomical developments have already taken place.

Baby Center has this to say about me:

Hungry? An increase in appetite is pretty common about now. Make it count by choosing meals and snacks that are rich in nutrients instead of empty calories (chips, French fries, candy, and other sweets). Bigger, more comfortable clothes are a must now as your appetite and waistline grow.

Wow - what perfect timing for this little snippet of information. Actually, I felt a lot hungrier between weeks 8 - 13, but who knows - maybe my body is just storing everything more efficiently.

4 comments:

  1. I like what Baby Center has to say about you being more hungry and how you should eat snacks that are rich in nutrients...Baby Center is obviously a man - or a woman who has never been pregnant. Because all pregnant women know that we MUST eat the foods that we CRAVE!!! Which in your case is tater tots, french fries, potatoes, cake, pickles, and redneck nachos (cheese melted on crackers). Lumpy definately likes carbs (ie beige food) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got upset about my weight gain too. But you are the right on track...nothing to worry about. I ended up gaining 37 lbs and it's all off 5 months later. Thank you breastfeeding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome! Glad Marsha was able to be there.

    I'll try to help Buttin get a little prepared for the Big Day.

    Dude: definitely check out some YouTube vids on epidurals and episiotomies. Watch them over and over. You will feel better.

    Go for the food that sounds good, girl. If it's chocolate-covered bacon at three in the morning or a caramel chili relleno, it's "for the baby".

    I'm jealous that you get to wear panel-pants soon. I could really use a pair for heavy dining nights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why is fetus boy so embarrassed about showing his cash and prizes during the ultrasound? ANybody else wonder?

    ReplyDelete