Friday, April 23, 2010

A Day Off

Although I'm feeling guilty about it now, I (with some gentle persuasion from Buttin) decided to take today off from work.

We've had a lot going on with work in the last week and let's just say that all of the recent developments have made more difficult to transition easily back into work, especially for Buttin. Buttin had planned on returning to work full-time this week (last week he came home early Monday - Thursday to spend some time with me and Cash), but with everything going on he's really had to be fully present and had to use lots of brain power (on a limited amount of sleep). There was no "coasting" through this week for him and I guess this week has been an experience in business ownership PLUS fatherhood.

Wow, it sounds like Buttin needs a day off.

OK, so back to me. I woke up this morning just feeling beat. I think all the "new mommy" adrenaline is fading. Cash is a wonderful baby and sleeps about 2.5 - 3 hour stretches but whenever he moves or makes any kind of noise in his sleep, I wake up. I think this is normal for most new mothers - about 45 minutes of sleep at a time.

I'm also breaking the cardinal rule - SLEEP WHEN THE BABY SLEEPS. I tend to do work, be at work, pump, clean or do laundry when Cash is sleeping. I have no idea (I'll blame it on hormones) what this strange compulsion is that I have for doing laundry. Honestly, before Cash I would do laundry and throw it on the kitchen table and when our housekeeper came (every two weeks), she would fold it. Maybe (BIG MAYBE) by the time she came back two weeks later half the folded laundry would be put away (mostly by Buttin). Now, I feel compelled to fold it and put it away immediately. This is extremely strange behavior for me, I honestly thought that I would have no problem following the sleep when the baby sleeps rule because I love naps so much, but I've honestly taking much fewer naps post-Cash than I did while pregnant. I'm going to try to be better (but look, here I am writing a blog post instead of sleeping) because I also want to start walking and/or working out next week and I know that I'll need more sleep to accomplish this goal.

So the plan for today (since I took the day off) is to try and take naps, so I'm going to lay down right now and try even though there is a load of whites waiting to be folded on the kitchen table.

3 comments:

  1. Umm...I am SUPER impressed that you already started working again. I think you deserve to take the day to rest and do whatever you want!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you would take advantage of your aunt and uncle more, you might get more rest. You've got a lotta years to go with Cash and with the business! Take advantage of our offers to help while you can! And don't ever feel guilty about not being at work:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You lazy slacker. You should be ashamed of yourself for not having more energy and being able to "do it all". In any TV show or movie that I have ever seen, the woman with kids can do everything which, since it's on film, must be the way the real world works. Unfolded stacks of laundry? That is just one sign that you are rapidly evolving into a crazy old lady in a creepy house with a lot of cats. (yes, I know about all the other cats you have been feeding)And Cartman isn't helping the overall situation either.

    You need to try harder or your kid is going to grow up to become a shoplifter, a gypsy, and a malcontent.

    Todays motivational speech is brought to you by Ann Coulter. Hope it makes you feel cheerful, energized, and happy!

    Ann

    ReplyDelete