Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Postpartum Doula Visit

This afternoon Doula Darlene came to visit Cash and me.

Darlene gave me the time line of Cash's birth and my memory wasn't too far off what she documented.

Here's a condensed version of the time line:

April 5, 2010

9:43 PM - We call Doula and notify her that I'm feeling birthing waves (or gas pains).

10:01 PM - Buttin calls Doula back and tells her we're on the way to the hospital.

10:53 PM - Doula arrives at the hospital and meets us in triage. Patty (my awesome nurse) tells me that my birthing waves are 2 - 3 minutes apart.

11:15 PM - Patty does a vaginal exam, and I'm 100% effaced and at 4 cm. Patty leaves to prepare the room.

11: 32 PM - I'm moved to my birthing room.
April 6, 2010

12:52 AM - Courtney (name of the nice blond nurse that I mention in my birth story) says it's OK for me to get into the shower. Once in the shower, my water breaks and I feel like pushing.

1:10 AM - I'm given the OK to push baby Cash out.

1:52 AM - Baby Cash is born.

Doula and I chatted for about an hour and a half about all things Cash related and I've decided to join a new mother support group (meets Wednesday mornings in May) that my Doula and another Doula are hosting.

Now, here's the daily picture of Cash - it looks like I coordinate his outfits with the Boppy pillow cover, but I promise that's just an accident. This is a little post feeding smile.


3 comments:

  1. Why do you need a support group? Do you have to pay for this? Sounds like some kind of scam to me. Why would you need a support group anyway - you have Matt, your mom, grandmas, me (most important), Jen, Mark, Micky, Tara, Ben, Ann, Oliver (the person, not the dog) and tons of other people. I hope this isn't another "Cadbury Egg Internet Purchase Incident".

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I do agree with Liz that you have a wonderful support system with the grandmas and us adopted aunts & uncles, I think it's great that you'll get to meet other women who are going through the same things you are at the same time. But can we change the name from support group to something more birth wave-ish? New mom social club or some such...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Metamorphosis into Motherhood...really? I sometimes feel like you joined cult with that hypnobabies thing...they don't call things what they are which, to me, is a sign of being out of touch with reality.

    For example:

    Excruciating pain = slight discomfort

    Labor = birthing waves

    Drugs to alleviate labor pain = WTF? No way!

    What next? Here is how I think these people would like you to describe other common words:

    Taxes = Financial Support of Government Programs

    Murder = Assisted Transition to the Afterlife

    Broken Arm = Bone in Need of R&R

    Fatal Car Accident = Vehicular Inconvenience

    Dog Bite = Canine Love Nibble

    Cat Scratch = Feline Love Tap

    Arson = Intentional Roasting of Home & Humans

    Kidnapping = Relocation by Unknown People

    Ransom = Financial Assistance to Babysitter at an Undisclosed Location

    If you start drinking weird Kool Aid and use terms like the ones I described above or if you and Matt decide to move to a commune with your Doula I will lead an intervention. Or your Doula's Assisted Transition to the Afterlife. Really. You can bet on it.

    ReplyDelete