Friday, September 24, 2010

Baby Free Friday - Things I Miss

Buttin and I have been small business owners for a little over two years now.

Neither one of us has any desire to return to corporate America, but there are some things that I miss:
  • The ability to disagree. In the corporate world, disagreements are not unusual (even between clients and vendors). Corporate folk commonly use phrases like "I'm going to push back", but the point is - they disagree all the time. In our small business world, the customer is always right (even when they're not).
  • At the end of the day it was not my problem. I took great pride in my job and worked my little tail off, but I was just a little cog and didn't (thankfully) have to worry about computer problems, paying bills, payroll or human resources. As a small business owner, I worry about all these things and more.
  • Vacation. Sadly vacation is not really an option as a small business owner. One day it will be, but right now Buttin and I are too big of control freaks to leave this place for any longer than a couple of days at a time. I hope one day to travel with Cub (take him to Disney World and the Harry Potter theme park), but the longest Buttin and I have both been away from the business (together on a vacation) is two days.
  • Powerpoint. Yup, I said it - I miss powerpoint. Decks became such any easy way to communicate ideas when I worked in Corporate America and sometimes I miss the simplicity of just putting a couple bullet points in a presentation and sending it off.
The truth is I could do about a dozen posts detailing all the reasons why being a small business owner is wonderful for our family. Every time I talk to a new mom who is dreading going back to work full-time or someone complaining about their boss I am reminded how fortunate I am to be to be a part of our little carpet selling misfit clan.

No comments:

Post a Comment