Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Will I Ever REALLY Run Again?

I'm having a little woe is me kind of day. I know this is stupid because my life is damn near perfect.

I love my son more than living, but I'm beginning to wonder when real running will be possible. Right now his sleep schedule is just so sporadic and I know my sleep is more important than my running (but less important than cookie dough). Sleep (and cookie dough) is a biological imperative and running is just very, very important.

I have been unable to crack 6 miles (I think I CAN go further, I just don't have the time) and I'm finding it frustrating when I can't run. Maybe I have unrealistic expectations. I know that any running I'm doing right now is good for me (physically and emotionally), but doing 3 miles/3 times a week just doesn't feel like enough. All I can do right now is remember the days when a 10 mile jog was an easy run I did any old Wednesday and read about other runners' mileage with a little bit of jealousy.

In other news, I took little cub to the doctor today. He's had a persistent cough and running nose (no fever) for the last couple of weeks and I just wanted to be on the safe side. Surprise! He has a cold. Oh and he now weights 17 lbs!

Here's a little swimming picture from today (I love the splashing water and the joy on his face). I know I take a ton of swimming pictures, but I've actually pulled it back a little - I only allow myself to take swimming pictures every other day.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, you will. It does get easier. You'll have hard days and occasionally hard weeks, but as they get older, running does return. Sleep will come too. I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think sometimes we read or see athletes coming back from giving birth and within a month or so, they are back to running long distances. I always think that I imagine most of those athletes are world class to begin with and have the best therapists helping them recover. You, Steph, have a family, a baby, and a business to run. I think its great that you are running at all. And, if you wonder if you will ever run again, remember I saw your face at the 22 mile mark and the determination on it, in spite of the obvious pain you were having. I think you'll run again and be more proud of it, because along with your pride, you are also taking care of a baby.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete