Wednesday, September 8, 2010

This & That

A few updates in bullet point form:
  • We've had some torrential rain her in central Texas during the last 36 hours. My favorite running trails (haven't been there since I was about 18 weeks prego . . . sometime last October) are completely washed out. Here is a picture (stolen from a friend of mine) - the water is UP TO THE TREE TOPS.
  • As a result of all this rain, we were slammed at work (in addition to selling and installing flooring, we also do water extractions). Buttin had to play "water extraction technician". We've owned the business for a little over two years now, but I don't think he's ever been out on a water extraction before (I haven't either) and I'm sure it made for an interesting and tiring day (he's still out and it's 7 PM).
  • Last week I wrote about Buttin's cousin. He has/had necrotizing fasciitis (flesh-eating bacteria) and it was looking pretty grim for a couple of days. Today he went in for his eighth surgery in as many days and has been declared infection free. He still has quite a long road to recovery, but the entire family is very relieved.
  • Since Graby was born I've been pumping breast milk in addition to feeding him. I've developed quite a large stash in the freezer (Buttin calls them milk popsicles). I've been wanting to donate some of my supply, but milk banks have a screening process (which I totally understand) and I just haven't really had the time to get the blood test, fill out the paperwork, etc. Well, another mom from my new mamas group read on an online forum that another new mother in Austin was needing milk for her three week old. Since she didn't have a problem with my drug use (I kid, I kid - unless Splenda counts), I was happy to donate! She only lives about two miles away from us, so I got to meet her and her teenie-tiny son this afternoon. I can barely remember when cub was that small. She was extremely grateful and it felt good to be able to do something (that for me, is really so simple) for a new mother who cannot produce milk.
  • The little cub's new favorite thing to do during bath time is to play with the running water. For the last few nights, after he's done getting cleaned, I push his little bath hammock towards the faucet and let him reach up for the water. He is absolutely fascinated by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment