Friday, January 7, 2011

Filanthropy Friday

A programming note: for the year 2011 - Baby-Free Friday will be known as Filanthropy Friday (yes, I know it's spelled incorrectly, but my version looks better next to the word "Friday").

I was inspired by this article.

Two thousand ten was a wonderful year - Buttin and I truly have everything we need and could ever want. We've always said, you know, we are fortunate, we should donate money (or time). So now we're really going to do it.

Every Friday, I going to find a charity that appeals to me and make a small donation (between $5 - $25). I really don't eat lunch out anymore (I did in most of 2009 and half of 2010), so I'm going to donate the money I used to spend on lunch to other causes. I'll also try to find some charities where we can donate our time together as a family.

So here goes.

Week One: Ronald McDonald House

I donated $15 to the Ronald McDonald House of Austin in Cub's name. I had two reasons for picking this charity:
  1. I pretty much ate McNuggets and a chocolate shake for lunch everyday during the last couple months of my pregnancy. I know my $15 isn't going to help make McNuggets any better, but it just made sense - here is my logic: McNuggets = Happy Healthy Baby THEREFORE I should give money to people who make McNuggets. It's iffy at best, but what am I - a nutritionist?
  2. When Cub was just a week old he had to get an ultrasound done (just as a precaution, nothing was wrong) and the office we went to was right next to the Ronald McDonald House facilities. Even though we were extremely sleep deprived, Buttin and I were overwhelmed with gratitude for our healthy baby. I hope we never have to experience the pain of a truly sick child.
OK, that's the end of my first Filanthropy Friday. Hope you enjoyed this change in programming.

1 comment:

  1. So, to recap: you chose to give to Ronald McDonald house, not because of the work they do for the families of cancer patients, but because you ate a lot of chicken strips and Cash coincidentally (surprisingly) was born healthy and because you went to a medical facility next door to Ronald McDonald house? Wow, you should apply for a job at the McArthur Foundation - they could really use this kind of creative thinking in their grant process.

    Sometimes I quit reading your blog for periods of time because of content that I find disgusting and/or makes me want to vomit (you know what I am talking about Steph) but i have to say that I am tuning in every Friday to find out the rationale behind your philathropic decisions. It's going to be a good year. For me. Making fun of you.

    Bring on 2011.

    Good lord make the ringing in my ears stop. Or maybe there is a ringing noise outside the house. Make it stoppppppp.......!

    ReplyDelete