Thursday, January 20, 2011

Small Business Owner Updates

When Buttin and I moved from the corporate America world to the small business owner world, I don't think we quite knew what to expect. As much as we have daily tasks, our days are so unpredictable. However, nothing is as unpredictable as our misfits.

Early this week, everyone saw the return of Psycho Stephanie (from preggo days) when I found out that some misfits had been drinking at the office last Friday. We have a pretty relaxed working environment, but drinking at work is pretty much one of the few things that makes me angry.

I was so pissed off that the first thing I did when I went into work on Monday was write up our new zero tolerance policy for alcohol and illegal substances (instead of working on our big sales presentation) and make everyone (to be fair) sign it. I never thought this is something that we'd need to do. Coming from the corporate America world, no one drank at work (well, except when I worked from home and then I started drinking at noon) and the fact that you'd need to tell people not to drink at work NEVER occurred to me. Like I said, unpredictable.

OK, so speaking of our sales presentation - it was yesterday. We did everything that we possibly could and I think we did a fantastic job. If we don't get the job it certainly wasn't for lack of trying - we threw everything at them we could and did it very professionally. This is one situation (I think) where our corporate America experience works to our benefit (versus the whole drinking at work thing, which I was not very prepared for). I'm very proud of our work and I'm glad it's over.

So, onto the Graby picture of the day. His teacher's birthday was today, so they sent us home with a birthday donut. Here's Graby with the donut.


4 comments:

  1. some things arn't that obvious i guess...
    Life is preparing you for Cash's later years when you have to be really specific about RULES....lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. As your unpaid and unofficial HR Advisor I think you need to start anticipating other dumb things your employees might do and have them sign agreements saying they won't do those things. A few that you might consider:

    1. Do Not Climb on Top of the Building and Throw Water Balloons at People.

    2. Do Not Poop on the Floor at Job Sites. (uh, didn't that happen one time?)

    3. Do Not Pick Up Hitchhikers in Company Vehicles.

    4. Do Not Use the Company Credit Card to Pay for Hookers.

    5. Do Not Use the Company Credit Card to buy Magic Beans from the Really Nice Guy Standing On the Corner. Even if it's a Great Deal.

    6. Do Not Manufacture Meth on Company Property.

    7. Do Not Bring a Stripper as Your Guest on "take your daughter to work day". We can tell that she isn't your daughter and, yes, she has to keep her top on.

    8. Do Not Have Sex With Anyone While Installing Carpet for A Client.

    9. Do Not Assault Idiots (either employees or non-employees) on Company Time.

    10. Do Not Bring Weapons to Work. (yes, a shiv counts as a weapon even if its really small)

    As usual there will be no charge for my great ideas and advice. You can pay me in magic beans and macaroni and cheese.

    Professionally Yours,

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have two more to add to Liz' list.
    11. Do not get drunk at a water extraction and drive up on the Governor's Mansion's lawn (soon to be President's lawn).

    12. Do not hire white supremists.

    Yes, these things happened and it was the white supremist who drove up on the the soon-to-be President's lawn at the Governor's Mansion. He got chased down and shot at. Luckily he was in his own truck with a portable machine instead of in our van.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Todd's company has Friday happy hours from time to time. I've never worked anywhere that allowed me to drink - even when I really needed one.

    ReplyDelete