Thursday, January 27, 2011

Me <--- Grumpy or Rightfully Pissed?

I don't know if aunt flow is about to visit or if it's just the fact that Buttin has been gone for the last few days, but I am a RAGING grump. I, me, who is mostly a sweet gal - just ask me - walked out of Dr. Sharpie's office today.

Cub was going for a follow-up appointment for his ear infection. He managed to take an early nap today at school (but yesterday decided against taking a morning nap at all), so he was already at the edge of fussy by our 1:30 appointment time (we arrived at 1:15). The nurse took us back around 1:40 and I asked her (very politely) - Is the Dr. running behind? If so, I'll gladly reschedule. The nurse assured me that we would be seen within the next couple of minutes.

We wait and wait and wait and wait . . .

Cub is doing pretty well, but I can tell he's thinking - hey mom, this place smells like a wet bus toilet and illness, I wanna go home, have boob juice and take a nap.

Finally, it's 2:10 (30 minutes AFTER being told it would only be a couple of minutes and 40 minutes AFTER our schedule appointment time) and I walk out the door. Dr. Sharpie is sitting at her desk as we walk out and I tell her calmly that we'll reschedule because Cash is ready to go home and we just can't wait any longer.

She (somewhat) curtly replies, that she's sorry, but she had a "complicated" patient.

Look, I get it, I'm in the service industry - sometimes things don't go according to schedule. However, we would have gladly rescheduled if we had been told the doctor was so far behind. We weren't given that option and I find that discourteous.

It would be one thing if this was the first time something like this has happened, but it's not. It would be another thing if I felt like when we did see Dr. Sharpie we received EXCELLENT care, but I think it's more like average. I'm sick of accepting mediocre as satisfactory. There must be something better available.

I know he is MY baby, but Cash deserves better than average.

I think I take health care more seriously now that I have a child and because I'm also the one paying for it (as a small business owner, I/the business technically pay for the entire premium).

So, I'm on the hunt for a new pediatrician. Unless Buttin tells me I'm being unreasonable, which he won't, because I'm not. Hurumph!

Now, totally switching gears - here are a couple pictures of Cub from today.

Being tossed in the air by Buttin/Daddy. Yeah! Daddy's home!

Modeling (in quite a nice ensemble) the new onesie Buttin/Daddy bought for Cub in Vegas.

2 comments:

  1. Steph

    Throughout this whole post you apologize for being angry that you got poor service and shoddy treatment at the doctor's office. Why are you apologizing? Why would you even suggest that maybe your reaction was "unreasonable"? You aren't a 15 year old girl who thinks she should be catering to society's demands that she be a "sweet girl". Gimme a break. You don't have to be sweet - demand what you freaking deserve and feel good about that.

    You are not being unreasonable but even if you were that is your right. You have the right to get mad at people who are disrespectful of your time and especially those who aren't thoughtful of your son. F--k Dr. Sharpie or whatever her name is. There are a lot of doctors out there so find one who treats you and Cash the way you deserve to be treated.

    I think the only people you have to be "sweet" to are the ones who love you and treat you accordingly. Everyone else had better prove they are worth your kindness, consideration, and, if they are running a business, your money.

    Steph, you are the nicest, kindest, and most loving person I know, you don't have a mean bone in your body. You are also the most beautiful and wonderful mother; God gave Cash a priceless gift when Cash got you as a mother. You are very loved by those of us who are lucky enough to know you. Everyone else can suck it.

    Very reasonably and non-crankily yours,

    Liz

    PS: Just because I said all those nice things doesn't mean I am not continuing to update the list of grievances. I have principles you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You only feel guilty about your reaction because you are so nice. I will tell you that I am on my third pediatrician with Ava, and will continue to change and change and change until I find one who: gives excellent service 99% of the time; whose office staff gives excellent service 100% of the time; and who is cognizant of what it takes for a parent/caregiver to keep an impatient child patient while waiting for the the doctor, and acts accordingly (meaning the doc is either on time, or has staff inform you that they will be a little late, late, very late, etc.).

    Christina Rumore

    ReplyDelete