Sunday, January 16, 2011

What Is That?

Like most mothers (except maybe that one from Teen Mom I see on the news all the time), I try to make the best decisions for our family, which I completely admit aren't the best decisions for every family.
  • I buy organic when possible, but sometimes ye ole Target brand is purchased
  • I cloth diaper - which I actually really enjoy.
  • I make Graby's baby food - although I don't think he always appreciate my culinary talents (roasted peaches and bananas, anyone?).
  • I try to prevent Graby from eating paste - but I'm sure he occasionally (or frequently) eats things that would make other mothers cringe.
  • I try to purchase products that are safe or good for Graby's skin - things that arefree of parabens.
Wait. What was that last one?

I'll admit it. I look for items that are "paraben free" even though I have no idea what's in a paraben. It's one of those things that I read while pregnant - PARABENS ARE BAD. My brain filed that nugget away without really questioning it or researching it.

I think this happens to the best of us (moms) - we read something (i.e. STAY AWAY FROM PARABENS), superficially it sounds like a good plan so we decide to agree with it, but don't have the time to check up on the claims. All consumers are hit with numerous marketing messages - multiply that by 10,000 for mom consumers, plus add a little guilt and you've got moms running to fifteen different stores looking for just the right diaper rash cream.

While I was pregnant, Buttin and I went shopping for Lumpy stuff. When we purchased a soap he asked me - Why this soap? I said (and looked at him like he was stupid), Because it's free of parabens! Thankfully, he didn't ask any questions.

From my five minute Google research, here's what I learned.

OK - so what is a paraben?

Short answer: a synthetic, chemical preservative used in a lot of things like shampoos, cleansers and toothpaste.

What's so wrong with parabens?

Short answer: apparently, they mimic the hormone estrogen - which can play a role in the development of breast cancer.

Are they THAT bad?

Sort answer: multiple studies have been done on both sides, they conclude that either parabens are bad or parabens are OK. No shocker and not much help. There ARE safer alternatives to parabens (like vitamin E and grape see oil).

What's a mom like me to do?

Short answer: avoid eating and rubbing parabens all over my family's body, but don't go crazy if a certain body lotion I love doesn't proclaim to be "paraben-free".

As with most things all I can do is be reasonable, which is sometimes a lot to ask of this mom.

Now, here's a picture of my almost healthy (although now he has a raging diaper rash - I'm blaming the antibiotics or the new food he ate, spinach) and almost paraben-free baby:

No comments:

Post a Comment