Friday, January 28, 2011

Filanthropy Friday

Last week's post was kind of sad, so I wanted to make my focus this week kind of fun (or funny).

I was on a mission to find the most random, silly or funny charity I could find, but there aren't a ton of FUN charities (at least none that I could find in my 5 minutes of research). I'm sure many have fun activities, but most of them focus on sick kids, sick adults, abandoned animals, abandoned adults and every other depressing state a human, animal or our environment could possibly face.

I found a charity that sounded AWESOME, the name alone made me want to donate - Doobys Clown Brotherhood for the Uplift of Gods People Inc. Pretty good, right? Sadly, it doesn't appear that they are still operating, so I couldn't find a way to donate money.

I decided to focus my attention on this weekend's main event (besides eating cookie dough) - The Chevron Houston Marathon. I went to their website and they had a whole list of charities associated with the event. Whoopee!

OK, most of these charities focus on sad stuff too, BUT I found one charity that seemed to have a positive non-illness related goal - fitness, nutrition (I'm sure they're pro-cookie dough) & kids. Marathon Kids!

They say:

For every $10 you give, another child can participate in our free six month program and feel the satisfaction and pride of completing a marathon.

So, I donated $10 to Marathon Kids in my mother's name.

Yeah mom! Let's have a great run on Sunday!

1 comment:

  1. Well you just got scammed.

    "For every $10 you give, another child can participate in our free six month program and feel the satisfaction and pride of completing a marathon. So, I donated $10 to Marathon Kids in my mother's name."

    Its not a free program if you have to donate $10. Sucker. Even if it is free to the kids why do kids need help running a marathon? What is your $10 being used for? I mean seriously all kids do anyway is run around and burn energy so all you have to do is put some shoes on them and point which way they should go. Bingo - they are running a marathon. No help needed.

    Also if you want kids to "feel satisfaction and pride" why don't you teach them to do something useful like take out the garbage or mow the lawn?

    If you are gullible enough to give to that charity let me give you an opportunity to donate to mine:

    My charity, for your consideration, is called LizWorld (tm).

    LizWorld (tm) is a charity devoted to making my life better through shopping, spa visits, and great food/drink. Money donated to LizWorld will go to buy shoes, designer clothing, and martinis for me. Perhaps the occasional dinner at Eddie V's or Jeffrey's. You can make donations in cash, by check, Paypal, or bags of quarters.

    *Small, smelly, bad tempered chihuahuas will not be accepted as charitable donations and will be fed to the coyotes that live behind my house.

    ReplyDelete