Thursday, March 25, 2010

Doula & Doctor Appointment Update

So I thought I'd combine two events into one post.

Last night was our final prenatal doula appointment. We didn't have that much to go over since we already spent so much time together doing Hypnobabies. We discussed how the last few weeks have been going and if I had any particular fears or concerns. Then doula gave us a mini "Happiest Baby On The Block" lesson. I have this book, but she gave us the quick version and a copy of the video. Essentially, it's five steps for soothing a crying baby (after you've already made sure the baby isn't hungry, wet or dirty).

It's called the Five S's:
  • Swaddling - Buttin and I learned how to wrap Lumpy like a little baby burrito. Plus I have a couple great Miracle Blankets which are essential a dummy-proof way to swaddle.
  • Side laying - I guess babies like to lay on their sides - kind of held like a football.
  • Shushing - This is actually a louder noise than you might expect. Babies are actually very used to loud noises and they find it comforting. Our doula mentioned that sometimes a hair dryer or vacuum cleaner works well for white noise. I'm hoping Lumpy likes listening to the TV because I find that more enjoyable than a hair dryer or vacuum cleaner.
  • Swaying/Swinging - Babies liked to be rocked.
  • Sucking - This one is kind of self-explanatory.
That was pretty much the extent of our parenting lesson. Hopefully, it'll be enough to get us from birth through college.

We laughed about how the next time we'll see each other it'll be THE DAY.

OK - Dr. Elephant update:
  • I've gained 3 lbs in a ONE WEEK, which Dr. Elephant called "generous", but since my overall weight gain is still within the normal range and I'm near the end of pregnancy - he wasn't too concerned.
  • Blood pressure still good - 108/60.
  • Still no progress on the cervix front, but again this doesn't really predict much of anything.
  • Dr. Elephant did a positioning ultrasound just to see exactly how Lumpy was laying. Lumpy's head is still down (yeah), but has not dropped yet. Some babies don't drop till birth, so just like a cervical exam, this isn't a great predictor of Lumpy's birthday - just a cool factoid to share.
  • After last week's visit - I was a little concerned about the APRIL 10th deadline. I told Dr. Elephant that I was concerned about being induced unless it was medically necessary and how I thought my real due date was probably some where around April 6th or 7th, not the 3rd or 4th. Dr. Elephant said that I was in absolute control (that's what I like to hear) and that if everything looked OK, he was fine with me going to 42 weeks. Honestly, it was our first conversation longer than 5 minutes of my entire pregnancy and he really put my mind at ease.
My next appointment is Thursday, April 1st (don't worry, I won't play an April Fool's joke on anyone).

No comments:

Post a Comment