Saturday, March 13, 2010

Lumpy's Cloth Diaper Stash

I haven't really discussed cloth diapers here on RWL, but most of my friends and family know that we plan on using cloth diapers for Lumpy. We decided on cloth diapers for many reasons - including cost, the environment and Lumpy's health.

Well, we got our first shipment in the mail today and I played with the diapers for about an hour or so - they're just so cute and little - and pretty scientific too.

These are not your grandmother's (or mother's) cloth diapers. Buttin and I are practical and we know our limitations. There's no way I would have the patience to fold and pin little pieces of cloth to a squirmy little Lumpy.

Our initial stash consists of two different diapers:
  • Kissaluvs Size 0 fitted diapers - I purchased a dozen gently used ones from my friend Lisa (she cloth diapered twins - so if she can do it, hopefully I can too) and a half dozen new ones.
They're so soft and little. They very easily snap together and then you put a waterproof diaper cover over them (I purchased about eight diaper covers from Lisa too and I'll take pictures of those when I get them). I read rave reviews about these diapers for newborns, so we'll use them till Lumpy is about 10 - 12 lbs.
  • The other cloth diaper in our stash is the Bum Genius 3.0 One-Size Pocket Diaper. These diapers can be used from birth to potty training (hence the name, "one-size"). Essentially, you can adjust the diaper rise with snaps and then you stuff the inside with a cloth insert (to absorb the pee). These diapers have a velcro closure and are as simple as a disposable diaper.
I have confidence that Buttin and the grandmothers will be able to easily use these diapers. I purchased a dozen of these diapers to start, but as Lumpy grows out of the Kissaluvs diapers - I'll purchase more of these, provided they work well and we like them.

As I said earlier, I played with the diapers for a while (did I mention they're just so freaking cute?) and it only took me about 5 seconds to fit a diaper to Valentine's Monkey:
Pretty cute, huh? Now all I need is a cute little baby tush to put in these diapers (but Lumpy's waiting till April).

2 comments:

  1. What time is the fancy diaper training class?

    Momsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. i loved the Kissaluvs for our baby too. they were the most awesome diaper ever at that young baby stage!

    ReplyDelete