Sunday, March 21, 2010

Such A Deal!

My dad will be so proud . . .

So in all my cloth diaper research, I came across many varieties, types and brands. One that I still find very interesting is the gDiaper. gDiapers combine the convenience of disposable, with some of the ecological and cost benefits of cloth diapers. Essentially, they are a cloth diaper cover with a flushable, biodegradable insert (they also have the option of cloth inserts).


There were a few reasons that I decided to go with the two cloth diapers we selected (over gDiapers), including reviews that velcro wore out too quickly, they close in the back, I really wanted to go with a majority of one-sized diapers (and gDiapers come in sizes), and if you use the disposable inserts you're not really saving as much money. However, the gDiapers are very cute - just look:

The gDiaper is kind of going for that "hybrid" diaper market, so they are available in major grocery store chains (they're also available at Target and Walmart). The starter kits (include 2 diaper covers and 10 flushable refills) sell for about $30 each and I've noticed them the last few times I've been at my local grocery store marked down (I guess they're not selling that well) to $22, then $16, then $8. Yesterday morning I went shopping and noticed several starter kit boxes all stuffed in this crummy clearance section and the sticker read $4. What? $4? Even though I already have Lumpy's diapers - I can't pass up this deal. Every fiber of my frugal childhood programming is screaming, BUY THEM! So, I purchased two starter kits. The diaper covers are even more adorable in person (they have a little "g" on them and one of our favorite girl names starts with a "g", so I kind of took it as a sign) and I figure I can use them for quick trips with Lumpy or use the covers over the fitted diapers we've already purchased. TRUST ME, you really can't beat $2 per cloth diaper cover.

So, all yesterday while I was finishing up Lumpy's laundry I thought about the other boxes of gDiapers still in my grocery store and how lonely those little gDiapers must be. I went back this morning and purchased the remaining three boxes!! I already listed two of the boxes on an ebay auction (another similar auction is going for $40 right now). So my little auction should pay for all of Lumpy's gDiapers plus a couple of Lumpy's other cloth diapers. I just get all stupid giddy when things like this happen!

1 comment:

  1. Did you seriously write an entire post about diapers?

    ReplyDelete