Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Sassy vs. Sensitive

Before I launch into this week's episode of "would you rather?", I'd first like to mention that yesterday was March 1st. Thinking about this date got me a little anxious and quite frankly, a little freaked out.

Lumpy will be here so soon! Lumpy could be a March baby, but even if Lumpy isn't a March baby - he/she will be born the following month. There is no month after, there is NO MORE time. All my days spent thinking that I have endless amounts of time to prepare - are over. You know that dramatic thing people do on TV and in movies - "whaaaah . . . I'm going to be a terrible mother" - well, I'm doing it.

Thankfully, my mom and dad are coming into town this weekend to help get things put together and cleaned. I think after this weekend, I'll either feel a TON better or even worse because Lumpy's arrival has just been made more real.

OK, onto today's topic - "Sassy vs. Sensitive"

I do not think Buttin and I discussed this topic, so I'm not quite sure how he'd vote.

First of all, a quick definition of "Sassy" - if Lumpy is a boy, I don't really think he's going to be "sassy" (unless he wants to be). I think of "sassy" more as, assertive, - it's just that "sassy vs. sensitive" sounds better than "assertive vs. sensitive" and I'm all for making things sound good.

As a child, I think I was more sensitive than sassy. I was (and still can be) very sensitive regarding my own feelings, as well as others. This makes me very empathetic, but it can sometimes be to my own detriment. I also tend to take things too personally. If I had to pick, I'd prefer Lumpy be sassy (or assertive).

It's not that I don't want Lumpy to be concerned for others or to have feelings, but I think it's more important for a child to be assertive. Things are different now than they were when I was growing up. I'm OK with Lumpy questioning authority (except mine) and I'd rather Lumpy speak up than be quiet.

Growing up, my dad (knowing how sensitive I was) always told me - "Stephanie, you need to be more assertive, but not aggressive." I think it can sometimes be a fine line, but I'll give Lumpy the same advice.

1 comment:

  1. I think assertive is fine, as long as there is respect with it - especially in teenagers. Too many teenagers these days don't show respect when being assertive to their elders. There's a right way and a wrong way to do it.

    ReplyDelete