Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The People Who Shape Our Careers

I've been very fortunate in my life to have several people encourage me throughout my career (although, I don't think many of them would have expected me to one day own a small flooring business). These people have include parents, friends, teachers, co-workers and bosses.

I got some sad news yesterday - one of these career influences, Sid Davis, passed away. He died from complications involving the H1N1 virus. Here's a local article.

Sid was the managing partner at the law firm where I worked in Dallas for three and a half years. I started out as his legal assistant and thank goodness he was patient because I had absolutely no experience. One year later, I decided to go to graduate school, (my father would have preferred law school) so I asked Sid if I could be the marketing director for the law firm (the current one was leaving). I thought the law firm marketing experience would be more in fitting with my career goals and he agreed.

During the next two and a half years, Sid encouraged (and sometimes tolerated) my silly marketing antics. I made all the attorneys play "The Marketing Apprentice" to try and teach the attorneys (who I don't believe are natural business-minded people) how marketing could help their business. I actually won an award for this professional development program from the Legal Marketing Association and I remember calling Sid from Phoenix to tell him that we had gotten first place. He was very proud.

I remember the day I told him I was moving to Austin. I think he was sad to see me go, but he knew that I was moving on to bigger and better things. I will always be thankful to Mr. Davis for the concern he took in my career. He gave me my first big break (so to speak) in the field of marketing and I wouldn't be the same without it. Thanks Sid - I will always remember you.

1 comment: