Thursday, January 21, 2010

Boy or Girl?

I've been meaning to write about the topic of Lumpy's sex for quite a while now, but other topics just present themselves more forcefully (like finding a roach in my sugar scrub or the KFC incident).

Well, the last TWO nights I've had dreams about Lumpy being a boy (even though, I'm very confident Lumpy is a girl, for reasons I will go into later). Two nights ago, I dreamt I was in the doctor's office and they gave me a form to fill out and right on the form it said, "Baby's Sex" with a box checked "Male". In my dream, I started crying in the doctor's office - first out of joy and then out of anger that they would let me find out (maybe you remember crazy Stephanie from the KFC incident - I'll have more on the topic of my increased rage on another post) Lumpy's sex. Last night I had a dream that Lumpy was two days old before I realized Lumpy was boy! Poor kiddo, I hope someone changed his diapers. I felt so strongly in my dream that Lumpy was a girl that I just didn't even question it, so when I found out Lumpy was a boy - I was a little shocked.

I'm taking my dreams from the last two nights as a hint that I finally needed to address this topic.

Like most expectant parents, we want a happy and healthy Lumpy - BUT, if I was forced to pick between boy or girl - I would want Lumpy to be a GIRL.

First of all, the reasons I'm 90% sure Lumpy is a girl:
  • I'm the mommy and I just have a feeling (call it intuition) Lumpy is a girl.
  • I think the ultrasound technician let a "she" slip (although, she quickly used the "he" pronoun in her next sentence - but I think it was just a cover).
  • Most of the old wives' tales point to girl - how I'm carrying Lumpy, my teenage acne, my lack of morning sickness . . .etc.
  • The Chinese Gender Prediction calendar says Girl (and everyone knows interweb quizzes are right about EVERYTHING).
Secondly, the reasons I WANT a girl (even though I'd be very happy with a boy too):
  • Girl's clothes are cuter - this is just a fact.
  • I would like to replicate the mother/daughter relationship that I have with my mother. (As a side note, I would also love the mother/son relationship that Buttin and my MIL share; however, I've heard the stories of Buttin as a child and I'm not sure I could be as angelic as his mother.)
  • I know Buttin would just be puddy in the hands of a little girl and I'd love to watch that relationship.
  • I'm not sure I know what to do with a little boy. I guess, since I'm a girl - I just feel more comfortable with the idea of a little girl Lumpy.
I know, no matter boy or girl - Lumpy will have a bald spot on his/her head from all the kisses we give him/her. It certainly is fun to guess - even though I'm pretty sure I know.

4 comments:

  1. I think its a girl too and you had better name her Elizabeth or else Santa will give her coal every year at Christmas. On the other hand, if you name her Elizabeth, she will receive expensive yet tasteful gifts for every occasion.

    No, naming her Isabella or some other version of Elizabeth doesn't count.

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to throw you off...my "mother's intuition" was totally off and I had crazy acne as well as very little morning sickness. I really wanted a girl too, but let me tell you...boys are sooo awesome and they just love their mommys!! So excited for you either way!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother's intuition was correct for both my kids, but I was MUCH sicker with JT and had more acne with Stefan. Speculation is fun anyway. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Technically, you don't HAVE to find out the sex after birth, either. If you just stick to a strict regimen of lights-out diaper changes and bath time, you could really have fun with it.

    Until their 12, then the kitty would be out of the bag.

    ReplyDelete