Monday, January 4, 2010

Doctor Appointment Update

Wow - this morning I had two doctor's appointments - here is a brief re-cap in bullet point form:

  • I've gained 10 lbs in 5 weeks! I think that 5 of this is Lumpy and 5 of this is fudge. Oh, well I don't usually escape the Holiday Season without gaining a few pounds, so I expected it to be a little high with Holiday + Pregnancy (my new mathematical equation: holiday + pregnancy = chubby me). Dr. Elephant said this was "generous", but he also said that I was "trim" to start, so provided I don't continue to gain 10 lbs every month for the next 3 months, I should be OK.
  • Lumpy's heart was right under my belly button this morning, so Dr. Elephant had a little trouble finding the heartbeat (I really don't need a freak out like this right now, Lumpy). He found it and then he did a little ultrasound just to see why it was so difficult to find (hence, how I know why Lumpy's heart was right behind my belly button).
  • Dr. Elephant just went over a few pre-term labor symptoms and said that I should probably think about getting a car seat soon. Honestly, I'm starting to stress out a little over the lack of things that I currently have for Lumpy. Lumpy has about four outfits, two binkies and a sippy cup (really two, but one is for Texas Tech and I don't see Lumpy using that one) and that's it!
  • Dr. Elephant informed me that I should take my glucose tolerance test today - so I got my icky drink and went onto my next appointment.
  • Next, I went to Dr. Sweet's office. If you'll remember, Lumpy was on the lower side of the growth curve last time, so they just wanted to make sure that Lumpy wasn't "growth restricted".
  • Right before the ultrasound started, I drank my icky fruit punch stuff. It tasted like Gatorade fruit punch - not pleasant.
  • The ultrasound was relatively short - she measured Lumpy's head, leg bone, stomach and heartbeat. Dr. Sweet said Lumpy was in the 39th percentile now, so we wouldn't need to have another ultrasound (it's kind of fun to think that the next time we "see" Lumpy - we'll be meeting and holding Lumpy).
  • Next, I went back to the Dr. Elephant's office to get my blood taken. (This next part would have been a nightmare for Buttin). The blood-taker lady prints out the little stickers to place on my vials of blood, takes my two vials, gets my band-aid on and then looks down at her stickers and realizes that she needed THREE vials of blood, not just two. So, I had to be stuck again with the needle. Wasn't too bad for me, but it would have been HORRIBLE for Buttin.
I should know the results of my glucose tolerance test within the next week. Hopefully, all is well - even with all the fudge I ate during the last three weeks.

I will now start seeing Dr. Elephant every two weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update.
    Lumps also has a jogging stroller.
    Old woman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it's time to plan a baby shower!! Sounds like a job for Auntie!

    ReplyDelete