Sunday, August 16, 2009

Chicago - The Highlights!

Buttin & I returned from Chicago earlier today - what a fun, amazing trip. Our friends Liz & Jonathan really know how to show us a good time (they used to live there)!

Here are some highlights:

We arrived in Chicago on Thursday evening around 7:30. Thankfully our flight was on time and our ride to the hotel was waiting for us.

Thursday night we had a very yummy dinner at Pequod's Pizza. I wasn't feeling so good and I wish I could have eaten more. I know that I'm going to start craving Pequod's any day now.

After dinner, we all just went back to the hotel to relax for the night (it was 10:30 by the time we were finished with dinner, WAY past my normal bedtime).

Friday morning I woke up around 6:30 and went for the most wonderful run on Lake Shore Drive (more on this during another post). Liz went to the dentist (apparently - she really loves her dentist) and the boys got a hot shave. After my run, before the boys got a shave, I met them for a quick ride up the Hancock building for a beautiful view of Chicago.I then met Liz for a wonderful breakfast at the Original Pancake House. Yummy omelets and pancakes.

The four of us then headed to Murphy's for a pre-game drink (or seven).
We then went to the Cubs game & the Cubs won - HUGE (I like to think I had something to do with it)! The Blue Angels also buzzed Wrigley Field about 10 times (the air & water show was on Saturday & Sunday, so they were practicing.) It was AWESOME!!
After many, many beers (water for me), a bratwurst and the seventh inning stretch (with "Take Me Out To The Ball Game" sung by Jeremy Piven) - we headed to Yak-Zies for some wings and more beer (again, water for me). After Yak-Zies we headed to a couple more bars (even got taken by a rickshaw) to one place.

At about 5:30 - Liz & I headed back to the hotel. We were both exhausted. The boys eventually got back to the hotel around 7:30. They both passed out in bed. We all ended up staying in for the night and ordering room service.

Saturday morning, Liz and I woke up, ate breakfast and headed to the Shedd Aquarium for our Beluga Encounter. Here's the two of us in these incredibly uncomfortable waders that we had to wear.
They didn't allow us to take pictures during our Beluga encounter, but they took some and I purchased them (need to scan) for sharing later. It was an amazing encounter and I kissed a girl (beluga whale)!

After the beluga whale encounter we met the guys at McFadden's for a quick lunch (yummy grilled cheese and clam chowder) and drinks. Liz headed back to the hotel and the boys and I headed to the beach to watch the air and water show. I only stayed for 45 minutes and then headed back to the hotel for a much needed nap.

At 6:30 - we headed to Cafe Iberico for Jonathan's birthday dinner. Several of L & J's Chicago friends met us for dinner.The food was amazing.

After dinner, I headed back to the hotel while Liz, Jonathan and Buttin went out for a couple more drinks.

This morning, we all got on our plane and headed back to Austin. I think we're going to plan a yearly trip to Chicago - there are just so many things to do. Sadly, we missed the Harry Potter exhibit at the Field Museum, but maybe it'll be back next year too!

Thanks L&J for a fabulous weekend!!

2 comments:

  1. What a great trip synopsis! You are right it was a terrific trip...and you guys were a lot of the reason for that. You are so fun to travel and play with. I just woke up from a 2 hour much-needed nap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fun! Glad you all had a great trip. Chicago rocks.

    I was hoping you were at the 17-2 Cubbie blowout(and that Matt wasn't the beer-throwing fan)

    and what is with all the napping....Geez....I know it's the blog's raison d'etre, but don't you vacation from naps too???

    ReplyDelete