Wednesday, August 12, 2009

This Morning I Scared The $%*@ Out Of Buttin

We're going to Chicago this weekend with our dear friends Liz & Jonathan. I'm really looking forward to the Cubs game, Beluga Whales, Pizza and celebrating Jonathan's birthday. I also can't wait to walk five steps without producing five gallons of sweat. The temperature range in Chicago right now is 60 - 85 as opposed to the 80 - 105 it is here in Texas. It sounds delightful!

I'm actually hoping to get a run in while in Chicago, but I don't think I'll be able to do my typical long run that I usually do on Saturdays. For this reason, I decided to do my long run today - a little over 12 miles on a VERY hilly road.

This is our usual Wednesday morning schedule:

Me Buttin
Wake Up 5:00 6:00
Work Out 5:30 - 7:30 6:30 - 8:00
Shower & Get Ready 7:30 - 8:00 8:00 - 8:30
At Work 8:15 8:45

I haven't been feeling so great this week - so when I woke up this morning with a headache, I wasn't honestly expecting to be able to run 12 miles.

I like to do this thing when I run called "exploring". If you read yesterday's post - you know that exploring hasn't always been my best idea, but when running I typically stay on a road. Well today I went exploring on this very hilly road - Spicewood Springs - I didn't really get lost, but it did take quite a while because the road was VERY narrow (and I had to move over for cars, Buttin doesn't want to hear that part) and very hilly. I had to put the brakes on for some very steep downhills and of course going uphill, I moved very slowly - and sometimes even walked.

Well, I thought I would get home around 8:00 (the same time as Buttin), but I didn't get home until 8:40. When I walked through the door, Buttin walked out of the office looking white as a sheet (a clean one - not one that Cartman has peed on). Apparently, he had been trying to hack into my Garmin account to see if he could locate my whereabouts (fyi - my Garmin doesn't do that). I do not think I have ever seen him this upset (at least not about anything concerning me). I think he was about 5 minutes away from calling hospitals and I'm not exaggerating.

Look, I watch Law & Order - I know all the things that can happen in the dark over the course of three hours. Even though most of the time on L&O the jogger isn't the dead body, they find the dead body. In retrospect I probably should have told Buttin that there was a chance I would be doing a long run this morning. I'm in a somewhat delicate condition and I know that he worries about me all the more because of it.

I am now going to print out all the maps of the route that I frequently run (and try not to go exploring), so that if Buttin needs to drive around and find me - he'll have an idea about where I am.

The run itself - was really good. I could have gone longer (but certainly, that would have been a mistake). I think there may have been less humidity because I didn't sweat nearly as much as usual and even thought I was on a very hill road. I enjoyed the run because it was new to me and I was very interested in all the new sites. I even saw horses!

So, in summary - I scared the &*^@ out of Buttin this morning and saw horses, but I promise to never do it again (the scaring Buttin part that is).

2 comments:

  1. Wait, you jogged Spicewood Springs during rush hour? Horses or no, I side with Buttin on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are going to be staying about 2 blocks from the lake in Chicago and the lakefront has a jogging trail running all the way from the north side of chicago to the south side. You should take your run there because its really pretty...but be ready to go see the whales by 8:45 am or I will leave without you. Seriously I will -- whales are cool and I am not going to be late to see them.

    ReplyDelete