Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Happy Birthday Molly!

Today is Molly's birthday - she is nine years old. She is a horrible running partner, a professional couch potato and she's got the sad, pathetic drooling down to a science. To me, she still has her puppy brown eyes and the most beautiful smile. It saddens me that she's getting older (she's a larger dog - 122 lbs.), but I know that she's had a good life & my life has been made all the more perfect as her owner.

I thought I'd share one story about Molly from when she was only five months old.

In December of 2000 - I was living in Ithaca, New York. (Molly is actually Canadian.)

December 13th, 2000 was a beautiful, chilly Wednesday and there was a shallow layer of snow on the ground. I had finished work early and my boyfriend (at the time - Brian) and I decided to go hiking with Molly. (I know - it's shocking, she used to be active. Now "active" qualifies as walking from the couch to the food bowl).

We found some very secluded trails about 30 miles away from our house, so we packed up Molly and headed for the hills. The trail was extremely slippery. The temperature kept going above and below zero - melting and re-freezing the ice and snow. We had walked about 1.5 miles on the trail when we noticed a 300 ft. hill. I'm not much of a mountaineer, but Brian wanted to climb it. Originally, I stayed behind while Molly and Brian started up the hill.

The hill had many trees, stumps and leaves and after seeing Molly going up the hill - I immediately wanted to join (kids, this is the point of the story where I tell you to NEVER go off trail and do something stupid like I'm about to do). I am also somewhat competitive and didn't want to feel outdone by a boy (again, stupid decision).

Molly, Brian and I made it to the top of the hill without incident - mostly by crawling on our hands and knees grabbing for the nearest tree branch. Once I reached the top of the hill, I was very warm. I was wearing about three layers, so decided to take off one of my shirts and wrap it around my waist.

When it was time to head down (this is something I learned, but apparently most outdoorsy types know that it's much more difficult to come down a hill/mountain than go up it - same principle as infants and staircases), I steadied myself on what I thought was a sturdy tree branch. Well, it wasn't very sturdy. The branch gave way and I went tumbling - head over feet - hitting rocks, trees and stumps for about 100 feet. When I finally came to a stop ,(with 200 feet left to fall) it was the the shirt that I had removed while on the top of the hill that had caught on a tree stump and prevented me from continuing to fall.

I was injured, but I didn't know how badly. I could barely speak to let Brian know where I was located. Molly, with her low center of gravity found me within seconds. It took Brian more than 15 minutes (it was slippery and of course I had just fallen so he was being very careful).

The right side of my body was injured (I later found out I had some broken ribs, my right lung had been punctured, my liver was sliced and I had a compression fracture in my back) and Molly instantly laid down on the right side of my body. She was only about 50 lbs at the time, but her butt was near my waist and her head was resting on my upper chest. The comfort I felt with her right next to me was/is indescribable. I was scared, but in very little pain because of all the adrenaline going through my body.

Once Brian reached me, he took Molly and they went for help. (Unfortunately, this was before the days when everyone had a cell phone.) It took about 45 minutes for them to get back to me. All of my rescuers were extremely cautious trying to get the 200 feet up to me without injuring themselves; however, Molly came right back up to me and resumed her position on the right side of my body. She did allow the firemen to work around her, but she would not go back down the hill where Brian was calling her. She stayed right with me.

The entire time the poor firemen carried me on a stretcher the slippery 1.5 miles on the trail, Molly was right under me - she would occasionally let out a little whimper or howl. No number of strong armed men could have made me feel as comfortable as knowing Molly was right there with me.

I hope as a dog mommy - I've provided her all the comfort and love she could ever desire. I've spent most of my adult life with Molly (since age 22) and I couldn't imagine so many of my life's events without her sweet face greeting me every morning and night.

In honor of her birthday, I've written her this little poem:

Happy Birthday to the one I love, like no other;
It is an honor to be your puppy mother.

I could not have asked for a better dog;
even if you're grumpy and often a couch hog.

Enjoy your birthday Mo-bear and I hope there are lots more to come!
When we get home I'll take you for a little run.

Or maybe we'll both just lay on the couch and eat,
then we'll watch tv while we fall asleep.

Happy Birthday Molly!

Love,
Your Mom

4 comments:

  1. I just started crying...
    Auntie (I put my name since I can't figure out how to sign up)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sniff,sniff.......crying big tears......
    GOOD DOG MOLLY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw that was so sweet. Happy Birthday Molly!

    ReplyDelete