Monday, February 8, 2010

Interviewing Potential Lumpy Doctors

My mom likes to tell me that babies are pretty indestructible. Even in my mom's baby book - her mother (my Bubie) wrote that she almost killed my mom no less than four times. This makes me feel a little better about impending parenthood, but sometimes I can feel a little overwhelmed.

Today, Buttin and I went to our first pediatrician "meet & greet". We need to have Lumpy's doctor picked out before I enter the hospital - so with only eight weeks to go - I thought it was time to get a move on.

As with the hospital visit, I felt like I was the least far along of all the mothers-to-be and this either makes me well-prepared or a control freak (possibly a little of both).

We met with the doctors at North Austin Pediatrics - we chose to meet with them first because they're right across the street from my hospital and have a very small, personal-attention kind of practice. We didn't really get any one-on-one time with the doctors, but I liked all three.

I must say that if pregnancy takes reading one or two books for preparedness; motherhood takes a library. I left feeling a little overwhelmed with all the information and resources. My friend Ann got me the book Baby 411 at Lumpy's shower (the doctors actually recommend this book), so I'm hoping that's a nice Cliff's notes version of many books.

Even with all these resources, it's good to know that babies are pretty resilient and that even though my grandmother almost killed my mother several times - she made it to adulthood just fine. I'm sure I'll have several more posts (as Lumpy's arrival draws near) about all the things I'm reading (and stressing about) regarding parenthood.

1 comment:

  1. Your husband must work out a lot to get pecs like that.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete