Tuesday, February 9, 2010

My Hero & The Worst DVD Ever

Last night was our 5th (out of 6) Hypnobabies classes. I can't believe how quickly time flies.

The majority of last night's class was spent reviewing Buttin's duties during the birthing time (remember, we don't call it "labor" in Hypnobabies). Buttin is my Hypno-guardian! Here is an artist's rendering of Buttin as my superhero (his hands look a little funny, but don't blame the artist).

We were given a sign to place on our hospital room door asking everyone who enters to please be quiet and positive. (As a side note, I would actually love it if my friend Liz made me a hospital door sign - it would be a lot more comical, but maybe less friendly. She makes signs for her own front door threatening bodily injury to solicitors.) We were also given a sheet to give to our hospital care providers regarding the proper Hypnobabies language, although I'm guessing it's a lot to ask someone to completely change their terminology just for me. I'm actually OK with whatever words they want to use, so long as they keep Lumpy and me safe.

The other part of our night was spent watching this AWESOME DVD of actual hypno-mommies during their birthing time. I think that no matter what kind of birthing classes you attend - it's a given that the DVD you watch will have been made sometime in the late 70s or early 80s. Buttin said he was offended by the DVD. I asked him if it was too graphic (we got to see EVERYTHING) and he said "No, I'm offended by the production value.". The mothers were actually using WALKMANS to listen to their hypnosis tracks. I think the last time I listened to a walkman, I was maybe 10 years old. The narration for the DVD was very unscripted and you just kind of felt like the lady was making it up as she watched the video with you. Honestly, my movies have a higher production value.

Production quality aside, all of the women seemed very relaxed (of course, they're not going to show me any screaming women in a pro-hypnosis class) and it made me feel confident that I can do this! Although, I must admit my confidence comes and goes depending upon my mood. I need lots more practice with my hypno-guardian hero.

1 comment:

  1. Those videos are the worst! And even worse, they are impossible to forget...I think I am scarred forever from the one we had to watch in the breastfeeding class!

    ReplyDelete