Monday, February 15, 2010

Popular vs. Smart

As parenthood rapidly approaches, Buttin and I often find ourselves engaged in conversations about Lumpy's possible features and personality traits. Of course, our only real wish is for Lumpy to be happy and healthy.

We play the, "would you rather" game with Lumpy. For example, "Would you rather Lumpy be popular OR smart?" I thought I would share some of our thoughts on this topic with the complete understanding that parenting is kind of a crap-shoot and we have very little control over Lumpy.

OK, so - Popular or Smart? I know that some kids are both popular and smart, but how the game works if you have to pick one over the other. I think that the politically correct answer that you say publicly is SMART. It was a difficult decision, but we agreed on popular.

We have many friends who are both extremely popular and smart. I'm guessing they would pick smart. I think it's easy when you go through life popular to pick intelligence over popularity; however, we think (with all of our parenting experience) that it's easier to go through life a little more on the popular side than the smart side. My life experience has taught me that you get a little more (and get away with a little more) if you're well-liked. If your a people-person things just seem a little easier.

Of course, we want Lumpy to be smart. We've actually told each other that if Lumpy is anything like Heidi or Spencer Pratt we will ship him/her off to another country (and not a fun country).

1 comment:

  1. I think I agree with you on the popular v. smart thing. And, I feel the same way about Heidi and Spencer...

    ReplyDelete