Thursday, February 25, 2010

Small Business Owner Stories

My mom thinks that I should write more about being a small business owner. (For some reason, as I read this, "small business owner" looks very funny to me - Buttin and I own a small business, but we're not tiny people who own a business.)

I certainly find this part of my life to be rewarding (albeit very frustrating, heartbreaking and nerve wracking, at times), but I'm not sure how interesting it is for others (I'm also not sure how fascinating my friends find hypnobabies and jog waddling, but I still talk about those two things a bunch).

Well, I'm going to attempt to give more updates about our little flooring company (no, I never thought when I was training to be the next Katie Couric that I would one day sell carpet). So, here's my first little "SBOS".

Finally, Some Very Good News

I don't mean the title to imply that we don't get some good news everyday, but with the economy the way it has been in the last year (we just took over 1.5 years ago) - really, really good news has been kind of difficult to come by.

We've had a couple pieces of excellent news in the last week.

First piece of good news:

A couple months ago, I briefly mentioned a sales presentation that myself, Buttin and Tubby-Tub (Barbie's husband) were doing. The presentation was to get on a vendor list of a large management company here in Austin. Well - we made the list! We're one of a few vendors on the list, but this opens up a big new market of potential customers. Needless to say, I did my silly, spazzy happy-dance in my office the day I found out.

The second piece of good news has less of an immediate impact, but is still good:

We are members of a local trade/professional association. As members, we try to stay active and attend meetings. As with most non-profits and associations it sometimes takes a very, very long time to make big decisions (there are always studies involved, lots of committee meetings, etc.). Well the association is looking to purchase a piece of land as an investment and to maybe one day build new headquarters.

The decision making process involved many factors, including; price, return on investment, potential for growth and many others. Well, the piece of land they're trying to purchase is less than a block away from where we just recently moved! This area of Austin is really set to explode in the next 2 - 5 years. We already thought this was the case, but it's good to hear from "official sources". It might be a little bit more of a hassle to get to and from work (because of the traffic), but by all accounts, we're in a VERY good area of town.

The End.

Wasn't that a good story? I hope this has made my mom happy.

3 comments:

  1. Momsy is very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a great story. I can't wait to read it to my grandaughter as she tries to fall asleep at night.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most excellent! I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete