Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Hoarders Is Depressing

Last Saturday, Buttin and I went to Dim Sum with our friends Ben & Ann. We had a great time, but as I mentioned in Saturday's post, Lumpy wasn't really feeling the salt and pepper shrimp (my favorite).

During our conversation (most of which was consumed by Lumpy & Connor - Ben & Ann's baby) we started talking about one of Ben's new favorite shows - Hoarders (on A&E). As soon as we got home, Buttin started to record episodes.

Initially, I didn't want to watch this show. The idea of seeing people living in absolute filth, getting upset about someone throwing away their expired sour cream was not really appealing. I don't really enjoy seeing people at their worst unless I'm guaranteed a happy ending. Well, I've watched about two episodes now and for the most part, my initial thoughts were correct - this show is depressing. One of the most depressing parts about the show is that even when their house gets cleaned (some people don't even make it to this point), they're still left with a pretty junky house. Years of accumulated filth doesn't do a lot of good for carpet, walls, furniture, etc. I'm sure the house still smells really bad even after all the trash (and some of this "trash" is rotting pumpkins and cat skeletons - so not your typical stuff) has been removed.

In order to make this show better, I think the Hoarders show producers should pay for new paint, new flooring and maybe some new furniture. It would certainly make me happier when I watch it.

The show did make me a little self-conscious about all of my Christmas hoarding. I do tend to collect bows, boxes, paper and decorations a little more than the average person, but it's nothing like the people on this show - so I'm safe for now. After watching one episode, Buttin promptly cleaned up the kitchen so if this show is good for anything - it's good to keep Buttin and I aware of any bad habits.

3 comments:

  1. My mother-in-law told me about this show. I'll have to check it out. But it does sound depressing. Just like Intervention on A&E. My husband and I used to watch that every week but then we just started getting sad, so we stopped!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the show depressing as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't want to watch a depressing show but I have a solution for all of your organization needs: BINS. I went to the Container Store today and now everything in the bedroom closet that isn't on hangers is in bins. Anything that didn't fit in a bin got tossed. It is so awesomely organized that I want to show it off - want to come see my closet? I guess if I were in a TV show it would be whatever the opposite of "Hoarders" is. OK, now I have to run clean out my bathroom cabinet because I think I have an excess of old lipsticks accumulating. (just joking)

    Liz

    ReplyDelete