Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Slide

I joined a "Team Tri" class at my gym, Lifetime Fitness, as something to do on the days that I'm not running. It's not a very serious triathlon class - but it's good for cross training and breaks up my usual routine of just running (jogging).

As a class, we rarely swim, but today we did! I love/hate swimming. I love it because out of the three (running, biking & swimming) it's the one I'm most proficient at and I hate it because I used to be pretty good and now it hurts to just do 500 yards.

Today (I'm not kidding) we spent no less than 20 minutes going down the gigantic water slides. Me and three other women (two of whom were wearing swimsuits with ruffly skirts) giddily climbed the stairs and anxiously awaited our turn. I'm telling myself that this slide routine was a good workout - here's how I figure:

1. Leg workout - going up the (at least 1.5 flights) stairs.
2. Core workout - keeping my balance as I went up the winding stairs and for keeping my torpedo like position as I flew down the slide.
3. Arm workout - pushing myself out of the water to go back to the slide.
4. Mental workout - telling myself I could go down the slide again and this time do a PR.

OK, so maybe I'm stretching on a few of these - but it certainly was fun. We also swam for about 20 minutes and then did about 20 minutes of bouncing around in the pool, doing push ups and getting water in our noses.

2 comments:

  1. Well I am not an "official" or "qualified" triathlon coach but I did watch the Eco Challenge a couple of times and also I saw a guy jogging in my neighborhood today so I figure it qualifies to me to give you advice.

    It sounds like the slide workout is an excellent compliment to your tri-workout. The only problem with the slide is that it's in a pool...if you do a triathlon you will have to swim in dirty, icky, polluted water in some lake or maybe a pond. I don't know excatly where triathlons take place but I know that they are outdoors and the swimming takes place in "natural" bodies of water which are dirty and filled with amoebas, algae, and tons of toxic waste.

    What you really need to do to prepare is to swim through a pool of snakes and leeches because that would be a lot more realistic than sliding into a nice clean indoor swimming pool.

    Give my training suggestions some thought if you want to win.

    Regards,

    Coach Liz (motto: "I Coach Winners Motherf--er")

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't they make a movie like this?

    Oh yeah... Cocoon

    ReplyDelete