Tuesday, September 8, 2009

I Don't Get It

Today the President will address school children. The full text of the speech is available online.

What I do not get are some of the parents and pundits who are outraged that the President wants to speak to school aged children. Are they aware that he wants to talk with the children about doing well in school, not about how awesome the Muslim religion is or gun control or gay rights?

I just do not understand why EVERYTHING has to be a fight. This seems so benign to me. I think George W. Bush has been the worse President in my lifetime (so far), but if he wanted to talk to Lumpy about the benefits of education and how you can be whatever you want to be - I would have been just fine with that message. I think children need to hear that message from as many people as possible and who better to hear it from than the President, even if you do not agree with all his philosophies?

When did everyone become so disagreeable? I honestly think that if the President said, "Puppies are cute" - the Right would revolt and organize puppy bans. The kitten lobby would donate crap loads of money to the Right and the nation would be divided into puppy state/kitty state. (I think the example could also be used in the reverse, just to be fair.) Do you really want to be on the side the disagrees with encouraging children to work hard and stay in school?

2 comments:

  1. Do you realize that a good portion of your relatives agree with the "right"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, if you play the speach backwards, it repeats that only gay muslims can own guns.

    As for the political climate, this is similar to what it was like in the latter part of the Clinton years. It was either Illuminati/Black helicopters/Vince Foster killers, or he was trying to pick up some chunky intern.

    Collectively, we need a large stick removed if we pulled kids from this speech.

    ReplyDelete