Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Hole Experience

I know that I'm a horrible speller, but I don't mean - the WHOLE experience, I really mean the Hole Experience. Allow me to explain.

My dear friend Liz invited me to join the planning committee for The First Tee - More Than A Game Golf Tournament and Gala.

The First Tee is a national organization that teaches life skills to under privileged children through the game of golf. The Austin chapter focuses on children in east Austin. Since I've never played golf in my entire life - this is obviously a volunteer organization that's perfect for me! (I 'm just kidding, I'm actually very happy to help).

Well last night was the first meeting. I was certainly the baby of the group. Some of these people were very impressive and knew quite a few people. For example, one guy said that he could get Darryl (as in Darryl K. Royal) and Mack (as in Mack Brown) to play golf and have lunch with some people as a silent auction item. There were quite a few name droppers, but they were all very nice about it. No one seemed very impressed that I was once in the same hotel lobby as Wilmer Valderrama.

One of the sub-committees I am on (Liz is the chair) is the Hole Experience Committee. One of the cool things about this golf tournament is they have an experience for the golfers at each hole. As an example, last year they had a Tito's and Sweet Leaf hole - where golfers got to try some vodka and/or ice tea. I seriously doubt that Carpet Warehouse/Flooring Warehouse will be sponsoring a hole experience, but I thought it might be fun to come up with a few ideas.
  • "Rub My Carpet" - at this hole experience we'll teach very rich golfers the difference between FHA-approved and sub-FHA carpet. It'll be fascinating.
  • "Do Your Carpets Match Your Drapes?" - at this hole experience we'll teach rich people how to properly match their drapes with one of our many various choices of beige carpet.
  • "Clean Your Carpet" - at this hole we'll allow my dog Cartman to pee (and other stuff) on large pieces of carpet and then show them how to clean it. I imagine this would be like one of those awesome infomercials.
Don't these sound like fun things that golfers would like to do during their hole experience? I'm not sure if anyone has ever been kicked of this volunteer committee, but I'm quite sure I'd be well on my way if I made these suggestions.

3 comments:

  1. I loved this "hole" blog entry...I didn't "loose" interest even once! hehehe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Cartman idea...we could tape it and then one day you can use it as your TV commercial on Cable Access. You are the best committee member ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really? "Rub My Carpet" and "Do Your Carpets Match Your Drapes?". Maybe you could have "Rug Munching" on the 9th hole or "Come on down and learn how to caress the va-jay-jay correctly".

    ReplyDelete