Sunday, July 5, 2009

Donut Icing

Most Sunday mornings I can be found on my couch eating the tops of chocolate donuts. (I'm like Elaine from Seinfeld, but instead of muffins - I cut off donut tops). I love the tops of chocolate donuts, but have never been able to replicate at home the same kind of icing. One time I even asked the bakery staff at HEB if they'd sell me a container of their chocolate donut icing - they said no - I growled at them.

This morning - I tried again. It's was interesting concoction of chocolate chips, butter, milk, flour and powdered sugar. It was not good. I threw that batch out and just decided to put chocolate chips on top of some warm flaky biscuits (the kind you get from a tube). Not the same as chocolate donuts, but it did the job and I was too lazy to drive to the store.

I'm guessing that the reason I can't recreate the same chocolate donut icing from the grocery store is that I'm using ingredients that I can pronounce. Mmm . . . Polyoxyethylene Sorbitan Monostearate . . . why must you taste so good?

No comments:

Post a Comment