Wednesday, July 8, 2009

New Business Idea

A few weeks ago, my fabulous friend Liz and I were watching the very cerebral show - "The Real Housewives of New York". During this particular episode one of the housewives, Kelly, was talking about her new jewelery line. She explained that there was a real unmet need for owl-themed jewelery. Yes, the hoot-hoot kind of owl. We found this to be hilarious - who would have guessed that there was an entire segment of the population wishing that their significant other would buy them a piece of owl jewelery instead of diamonds or platinum?

Well, this got us thinking (not always a good thing). If there are women (or conceivably men) who want owl jewelery, then it stands to reason there's a HUGE underserved market for ferret paraphernalia too. I've read many studies that say ferrets are more popular than owls (Smith, John. "Why Ferrets Are Better Than Owls". Ferret Fancy. 14 March 2008). We thought of many product ideas - Ferret Charms, Ferret Bracelets and (the best) Ferret T-Shirts. Our business model is based upon customizing your own ferret (see picture above - also done with the graphic design program - Microsoft Paint). My ferret has a pink bow and pink toenails, but yours could have a little skull bandanna or a green bowtie - there is no end to the creativity!

We already know the most lucrative part of our ferret empire will be the t-shirt division. After you've designed your ferret - you can get a t-shirt with a picture of your ferret and any one of the following clever slogans:
  • Pet My Ferret - Even If It's Sticky
  • Lick My Ferret - Even If It's Icky
  • Smell My Ferret - Even If It's Stinky
  • Touch My Ferret - Even If It's Gunky
  • Love My Ferret - Even If It's Freaky
There are probably a couple I'm missing - the possibilities are endless, but for the purposes of production efficiency, we'll have to limit it to a few choices. Our dream is that people will wear their Ferret T-Shirts (complete with fake fur) and spill on themselves thereby making the ferrets sticky, icky, stinky, gunky and freaky. Our other dream is that the shirts will lead to World Peace, but that is secondary to the spilling.

We don't have a company name yet for this venture, but I'm thinking something like . . . My Little Ferret or Pet My Ferret or something similar. We're thinking this is the idea that's going to make us rich (or at least get us committed by our husbands).


© Copyright 2009 My Little Ferret All Rights Reserved. Member FDIC.

3 comments:

  1. Do you plan to market this under your Clown Paper division? It seems to be a good fit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - Clown Paper & Electric Parachute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited that finally our Ferret idea has been put in writing. I think this has such promise and I can't wait until we produce our very first tshirts. Maybe we could even have a line for dogs too!

    ReplyDelete