Tuesday, July 14, 2009

If You're Not Cheating , You're Not Really Trying

. . . . And other things I've learned from Liz.

Liz (I call her Lizzybo or Lizbo) and I have been friends for about three years. We were co-workers at a company here in Austin and have been good friends ever since. Most Wednesday nights I can be found eating mac n cheese at her house and most Friday nights we can be found with our husbands (Buttin and J-Ho) at Alamo Drafthouse. We have a good routine.

Like with most friendships, you learn a great deal from each other. Here are just a few of the gems I've learned from Lizzybo:
  • If you're not cheating, you're not really trying - This applies to pretty much all games that you might play with Liz. I don't think she advocates cheating on anything really important, but then again, she does think Lexulous is pretty important.
  • It's not white-trash if you have a "usual" at KFC. - I think it only qualifies as white-trash if the drive thru person knows your order.
  • It's good to have a goal. - Even if it's the most mundane goal, like, I will only nap for two hours today instead of my usual four.
  • Do cute, not smart. - These are words to live by. When in doubt, it's more important to be cute than smart or at least, you tend to be more happy.
  • If you make a vodka martini at home, all it needs to contain is vodka. - Don't worry about the vermouth or olives - straight vodka will do when you're at home.
  • Don't be mean - be sweet. - This rule does not apply is if the person is stupid, mean first or talking on their cell phone while driving.
I think I've probably taught her a couple things too - like the importance of cookie dough in maintaining any friendship with me and how to properly arrange pillows on a couch for the most pleasant nap experience.

1 comment:

  1. Aw that is an awesome post grasshopper. i am so glad to see you have learned from your sensei (sp?).

    Here are a few things I have learned from Steph:

    (1) Steph is a way better cheater than she would have you believe. She beats me at least 50% of the time at Lexulous despite the fact that I have a lot more practice cheating at that game than she does. She's a sneaky one that Steph.

    (2) If you happen to have had a few too many homemade martinis sweet little Steph might take advantage of that fact and egg you on to do/say/sing stupid (but not dangerous) things because your drunkenness amuses her. She knows what I am talking about so I will say no more.

    (3) You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Steph is so patient and kind to other people (even the stupid ones) that she inspires me to be a better person. I'm not really off to a great start but I am inspired and that is the first step.

    (4) Naps are addictive. After watching the effect of excess napping on Stephanie I am now afraid to nap very much. The more she naps the more she wants to sleep. I am afraid she is going to slip into a coma one of these days and then what will I do with myself on Wednesday and Saturday nights?!?

    (5) Cookie dough does not make you fat. Steph seems to be able to consume more cookie dough and sugary sweets than anyone I know without gaining weight. In fact she seems to be getting thinner. Of course that could have something to do with the fact that she runs about 50 miles a week in 105 degree heat. I don't really know if its the cookie dough or the running that's causing her to lose weight - what am I a scientist?

    Steph, you are the best!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete