Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Accident

Well, I was planning to write about something else this morning, but the something else will have to wait for another day.

This morning I was in an accident. Poor Bubba Mustang. I was driving along (less than a two blocks from work) in the far right hand lane (of the 183 feeder road) when a black BMW exited the freeway, crossed four lanes of traffic (like a bat outta hell) and literally ran right into me. Actually, I hit him - but I didn't really have a choice in the matter.

Molly was with me (it's a Molly-Day) and like a good dog mom, when I saw the BMW (for the split eighth of a second before I hit him) I instinctively put my right arm out to protect her from going forward and like a good Texan I hit the horn. Also, like a good driver I floored the break, for all the good it did.

I hit the guy (he's young - only about 25 years old) so hard that I spun his car around into the parking lot of the fast food place (Terra Burger) right next to our office. Here's the best part of the story - these are the first lines of dialogue that transpired between the two of us as soon as we verified we were both OK and injury free.

Guy: You hit me.
Me: You came into my lane.
Guy: But, I had my blinker on!

Are you freaking kidding me??!! I don't care if your car is purple with a flashing neon sign that says "follow me to free cookie dough" - there is no way I could have stopped.

Thankfully, one of the nice men at Terra Burger looked at the Guy and said, "No man, she was in this lane for a long time - you ran into her." I also had another driver "Bruce" who gave me his number and said he witnessed the whole thing .

Poor Molly - she was so scared. As soon as we stopped, she crawled into the back seat. A nice lady from Terra Burger came out and tried to give Molly a dog treat. Molly was so scared, she didn't eat the treat (Molly not eating a treat is like me not eating cookie dough - there's something seriously wrong). The nice lady left a couple of treats in the car and not surprisingly, Molly eventually ate them.

As I mentioned, the accident happened only about a block away from work. I know I give our little misfits a hard time, but I've never felt so relieved as I did when I saw three of them walking towards me to see what they could do to help. One of them took Molly by the leash and walked her to the office, another one of them went back to the office to get my digital camera and another one punched the stupid BMW Guy in the throat (ok, I made that one up, but I bet he would of, if I'd asked him to). I was very thankful to have the misfits with me.

The police officer arrived and discussed the accident with both of us - I didn't get a ticket, but I'm not sure if the Guy got one. My insurance company (the best ever) took care of everything and told me not to worry - they would handle it!

All in all, I'm very lucky - no person (or dog) was injured and most importantly - my rental car IS NOT A YARIS!




2 comments:

  1. glad you're ok! and molly! accidents suck:( sounds like the dude who hit you is a real winner...i was rooting for someone to really punch him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yikes. so you both have rental cars right now? what are the odds of that...so glad you are OK. That guy sounds like a moron.

    ReplyDelete