Monday, July 13, 2009

The Last Three Pushing Daisies

I'm in love with a TV show that's been cancelled.

I'm a girl who needs a certain amount of whimsy in my life. This whimsy can be provided by any number of things, including; spending time with my niece JT (she's a stop and smell the psychedelic flowers kind of little girl), listening to our misfits defend a decision they've made (this often boarders on absurd, but you have to see the funny in it so you don't kill them) and television shows.

As I've mentioned before, work makes me stressed. I'm stressed about bills, stressed about employees, stressed about customers and the list goes on. I have found that a good antidote to my unnatural level of stress is whimsy. Whimsy makes me feel so much better - it's like an escape to a happy place that cannot be reached by outsiders. Stupid outsiders and their stupid demands.

A couple fall seasons ago, I found the ultimate in whimsy in a wonderful show - Pushing Daisies. I fell in love with this show from the very first frame - it's unusual coloring and narrated story made me squeal with whimsical delight! It was the perfect adult fairytale and I love fairy tales. Then the stupid writers strike came and took my beloved show away. Stupid writers or producers or money-grubby people or whoever's fault it was.

The show came back last fall and I was so happy. I told EVERYONE (which was probably just Liz and maybe one other person) I know about this show. I delighted in the love story and every little crime fighting adventure. Buttin and I even talked about naming Lumpy, Charlotte (when/if Lumpy arrives and if Lumpy is a girl), in honor of one of the main characters.

Sadly, even with all my love - Pushing Daisies was cancelled. I blame the terrorists. In hindsight, I probably should have told more people to watch it or sent in a bunch of daisy seeds to ABC in protest.

I have the last three Pushing Daisies waiting in my DVR - waiting for me and for when the day when I really need the most powerful form of whimsy ever created. I really am scared for that day and don't want it to ever come, because if it ever does then I'll have to admit that Pushing Daisies really is over. So sad.

1 comment:

  1. I totally forgot to comment on this yesterday. I am definitely going to buy the Pushing Daisies DVDs...best show since Arrested Development.

    ReplyDelete