Tuesday, July 7, 2009

What I Do When I'm Not Running

As I've already mentioned, I don't really do that many things when I'm not running. I take naps (this accounts for about 80% of my non-running time), I work and I watch TV - that's pretty much it.

For marathon training purposes, I only run three days a week - so I have to do a few other things to supplement my training. For example, I meet twice a week with a Team Tri group at Lifetime Fitness. The only thing we don't do in Team Tri is swim - which is really the only thing that I can do (and not scare children or hurt myself). We do about 20 minutes of weights, 30 minutes of biking and 20 minutes of running (which technically I know is still running). It's a good cross-training workout for me, although I don't think I'll ever really do a Triathlon.

Our Team Tri coach says the funniest things - while we bike, he loves to use the word "wee" as in "speed it up a wee bit". I've never heard an adult male use the word "wee". He also enjoys stating that which is painfully obvious. For example, when we're running (on the treadmill, which I HATE) he says - "just put one foot in front of the other". I'm glad we have a coach for this whole running thing or I wouldn't know what to do.

I also meet (or at least try to) my fabulous friend Jen at the gym two nights a week. Our workouts consist of me making her do cardio and her making me do weights and then some kind of stretching (or me sitting on a mat moving my ankles back and forth). Recently, she's developed the convenient excuse of a torn calf muscle and she tells me her husband won't let her do cardio. The idea that Mark could actually keep Jen from doing something (she so obviously loves doing) is impossible - that's why I think he's hiding the real Jen and sending her evil twin to the gym.

In addition to cross training, I'm trying to bring some variety to my three runs a week - like speed training and intervals. The problem is it's just so hot right now that I'm lucky to go my very slow pace without collapsing.

Yesterday morning I ran 4.7 miles at a faster than my normal summer pace. Keep in mind that faster for me is still much slower than even the slowest 64 year old Boston Qualifier runs for 26 miles. This is a little depressing, but it's a start to trying some new things to help me train.

If only eating cookie dough and taking naps counted as training - at least they count as things I do when I'm not running.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, calling me out on the cardio.

    I'm pretty sure I read about some Harvard study that links cardiovascular exercises to unproductive behaviors (such as excessive napping) making it a menace to society. I'm just trying to do my part and set a good example for the children.

    ReplyDelete