Friday, July 17, 2009

Now Accepting Paying Customers

One of the most surprising thing I've learned being a small business owner is that there are other businesses that order things and then don't pay. Call me naive, but this is not only surprising - but shocking. How can people do business honestly by not paying for things they've ordered? It's a vicious cycle - our customers' dishonesty problem, then becomes our problem - because as charming as I am, our suppliers don't let us have things for free and our misfits don't work for free (also shocking - I know).

So far we've had seven customers file for bankruptcy. (These are the types of things that really stress me out, but obviously I have absolutely no control over them.) This morning, we received yet another notification of filing.

Never having had any experience with bankruptcy, I didn't fully understand that businesses can file for bankruptcy even though they owe you crap loads of money & are still collecting crap loads of money from their customers (in the case of apartments, from their residents). I'm sorry, but if you're collecting $1500 in rent per month from every tenant - certainly you have the money to pay us!

In order to combat future non-paying customers - I've created this new wonderful advertisement. These materials are probably a little better than we have in stock, but I think it gets my point across:

No comments:

Post a Comment