Friday, July 31, 2009

Praying For A Freak Cold Front

Tomorrow I'll be in Houston with one of my very best friends, Nana. Nana and her sister, Weenie, are not what you'd call morning people, so trying to get them up to run before 8:00 AM on a Saturday isn't pleasant for any of us. One Saturday in May (when I was visiting), I tried to wake them both up for a run - one of them slammed a door in my face and I'm pretty sure the other one farted on me. We ended up running in Memorial Park at about 8:30 AM and I just about died (above is a picture of us after the run, lots of water and some Starbucks).

In order to prevent another May running experience I thought I'd just go ahead and get all my running out of the way before my weekend trip. (Although, Nana did leave me a message about promising to wake up at 5 or 6 - ha!) I did my long run this morning. I know I've never mentioned it before, but it's really freaking hot out - even when I start running (at 5:30 AM) it's already in the mid-80s + crap loads of humidity. I think I probably add about 5 lbs to my running load due to the amount of sweat that collects in my running shorts.

This morning I did a little over nine miles at a pace slower than pee soaked carpet dries in this humidity. I was actually reading my newest People magazine (while taking my pre-run poo) and I saw that Valerie Bertinelli runs MUCH faster than I do (she did a 2:12 half marathon). I have a long way to go.

Here are my haiku prayers for a cold front:

Please little sunshine
Cool off a little for me
Refrigerator

Sweaty yucky clothes
Wish they did not smell so bad
I never get hugs

I think cooler thoughts
But the snow it never comes
Would settle for rain

No comments:

Post a Comment