Saturday, July 25, 2009

I Feel Motivated, But Enough To Actually Get Off The Couch

As I sit on my couch, with towels strategically placed over the windows to make it darker - I'm absolutely positive that watching the Ironman on TV must count for something.

NBC certainly has perfected the emotionally swelling music and narration thingy - as I almost cried no less than five times. I'm guessing they've had a lot of practice pulling at heart strings with the Olympics.

All of these athletes have stories and none of them are short of inspiring. There's a seventy-two year old finisher, a paraplegic, Navy Seals, people racing as a promise to a now deceased relative and countless others. I should never complain about the heat and 10 miles again. When one prominent athlete wasn't able to finish, the narrator said - "She was only able to make it 9 miles into the marathon." Holy crap! That's after a 2.4 mile swim and 110 mile bike, and then she managed to run only one less mile than I did this morning. I completely understand that this was a disappointment for her, but wow - it makes me feel like a lazy, whiny baby.

Now that I feel motivated - I'm going to use the energy to look for something else to watch, skateboarding is on next and that doesn't seem nearly as inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment