Friday, July 3, 2009

Scratch and Mouse

Since I've already discussed two of our four animal children (scabby-butt and pee bubbles), I felt it only fair to at least mention the other two - Scratch and Mouser. This post will probably much less entertaining and disgusting than my posts about our dogs.

I'll start with Scratch (also known as Scratch-A-Matach & Fat Kitty). He's the newest addition to our family and just showed up on our door step about two months ago demanding to be fed (he's very talkative). Now that he's officially adopted us, he can be found in one of three places - the eating bowl, the sleeping chair or the pooping basket. Scratch is a fluffy (or fat) cat and does nothing except for eat, poop and sleep (I like to think he takes after me.). This is not an exaggeration. When I walk into the kitchen, he follows me because he thinks I'll give him tuna fish. If I'm not feeding him tuna fish, he's in his chair sleeping - here he is in his sleeping chair & at his eating bowl (you'll have to take my word for it that he also poops - no one needs a picture of that).










When I leave for work in the morning - he's in his chair & when I come home, he's still in his chair. He is the laziest animal in our kingdom (I'm including myself) and that's saying a lot (have I mentioned that I enjoy naps?).

Our other cat is Mouser (also known as Kitty Baby & Mouse House). We've had Mouser for almost two years. Like Scratch, Mouser just showed up at our door step and demanded to be fed. (Mouser was very skinny, but Scratch has always been hefty). Mouser is our little killer. I've read that you're supposed to take their dead animal offerings as a gift, but it's difficult to be grateful when you're stepping in mouse guts. He proudly brings us birds, lizards and bugs on a regular basis.

Mouser is a very affectionate cat, but he also demands attention on his schedule. If I'm on the computer at night, he's in my lap trying to keep me from it - If I don't get out of bed in the morning to feed him (promptly at 5:20) he does the following:
  • Begins by scratching lightly on the sheets; (if I don't get up)
  • He gently places the pads of his paws on my face; (if I still don't get up)
  • He starts to use his claws anywhere he can find skin; (and if I still don't get up)
  • I get a claw to the eye.
Anyone who has spent the night in our guest bedroom also understands this morning wake up call routine - it's like the Mouser version of the "snooze" button. Truthfully, even though I feed Mouser his tuna in the morning, Buttin gets more claws to the eyes than I do. I think Mouser knows that I will protect my husband from his attacks and get up to feed him (if I was the one getting claws to the face, Buttin probably wouldn't get up). Mouser is smart.

(Totally off topic - I just thought of another disgusting/interesting fact about Cartman - he only eats Mouser poop - he leaves the Scratch poop in the litter box. I can only assume this means the Mouser poop tastes better, but I don't really want to speculate.)

Mouser will come when I call him and he loves to lay on my chest and sleep for hours (I can always use a good nap). I have ALWAYS been a dog person - thinking that cats were only for crazy old ladies or the criminally insane - but now that I have cats (especially Mouser), I can't imagine my life without them. There's a certain joy and attitude that cats bring to your life & even though I have to clean the litter box and pick up dead bird remains - it's nothing compared to the grossness that is Cartman.

1 comment:

  1. After the three wake up calls each night with gifts of birds, lizards, and leaves, I'd be happy to donate two more cats to your little family.

    ReplyDelete