Friday, July 31, 2009

A Movie I Could Not Watch


**WARNING - LIZ - DO NOT READ THIS POST**

This morning (while sweating profusely & kind of jogging), I was listening to a Fresh Air podcast. The majority of the podcast was spent with Eric Bana, discussing Funny People (a movie I will happily go see), but the last third of the podcast was spent discussing a new documentary, The Cove.

The Cove details dolphin slaughter in Japan. The narrator (and protagonist, I think - I can't remember the details exaclty) is the guy who captured and trained all the cute little dolphins who played "Flipper". He is now, obviously, on the other side of the animals in captivity issue.

There is a cove in Japan, where dolphins are captured. Some trained and then sold to your neighborhood Sea World; however, some of the dolphins that are determined to be ugly or maybe not as trainable are KILLED!! Apparently, this cove has been rumored, but no one has ever filmed the slaughter before, until now.

The documentary was making me extremely angry and I was doing just fine until they started to interview this woman filmmaker. She was able to place a camera in an underwater rock in the cove where the dolphins were killed. She was also able to observe somethings above water. She immediately starts to sob as she describes one mortally wounded dolphin actually swimming towards her (I'm anthropomorphizing here a bit), as if begging for help. As she starts to sob harder (at this point I'm nearly unable to breath because I'm crying while running) - I try to push forward to the next podcast. I had my stupid ipod in the locked position - so I had to listen to another 30 seconds before finally being able to shut it off. It took me quite a few minutes to recover from this story & I'm still (obviously) thinking about it.

I see almost every movie that comes into theaters (especially if they're award winners), but I'll be skipping this movie. I'm really looking forward to my beluga whales encounter when I go to Chicago,but I really hope that there is no beluga whale cove anywhere.

Here is an msnbc article on The Cove.

No comments:

Post a Comment