Thursday, July 16, 2009

A Few Words About Nicknames

I love giving nicknames. I have nicknames for almost everyone.
  • My husband (Matt) - I call him Buttin. There is no origin story for his name - it just started one day for no good reason and it stuck. There are many variations on his nickname, but they would embarrass him - so I won't write them.
  • Shannon (close friend since I was about 11) - I call her Nana. I started calling her Shannon Banana and it just got shortened to "Nana". I have also been known to call her Maria (her middle name).
  • Colleen (Shannon's sister - and another close friend) - I call her Weenie. I started calling her Colleenie-Weenie and it just got shortened to "Weenie".
  • Rhonda (one of the misfits , a friend and sometimes my saving grace at work) - I call her Barbie. Very easy - she's a blond, skinny beauty!
  • Todd (Rhonda's husband & another misfit) - I call him Tubby-Tub. I kind of stole this nickname - he already had "Tub", I just added the Tubby part. For the record, he's skinnier than Barbie.
  • Liz (one of my dearest friends) - I call her Lizzy, Lizzy-bo or Liz-bo. Funny (but not that funny) story - at work someone once heard me call her Liz-bo and then asked her if she was ok with me calling her Lezbo.
  • Jen (another very dear friend) - I call her Winifred. Again, there is no origin story - it just kind of started one day.
I even have nicknames for our pets.
  • Molly - I call her Mo, Mo-Bear Puppy, Mo-Bear Potter - the variations are endless.
  • Cartman - I call him Cart-Cart & Love Puppy.
  • Mouser - I call him Mouse House & Kitty Baby.
  • Scratch - I call him Scratchalachin and Fat Kitty.
Notice how I'm not very creative, most of the pet nicknames include the animal species (or maybe it's the genus - I wasn't very good in biology) in the name.

I'm not just the giver of nicknames, I'm also the recipient - here are just a few:
  • BG (stands for baby girl) - from my husband.
  • Fifi - from my little brothers and sisters.
  • Belle, Stephiebelle & Stephiepoo - from Shannon
  • Joe - from my Mom
Poor Lumpy will be so confused - Buttin and I will probably never call him/her by their real name - only by a various number of nicknames, including - LUMPY.

No comments:

Post a Comment